Why Update To Froyo!
Droidbotics

Why update to Froyo? It would be logical for Verizon and Samsung to scrap the Froyo build and start Gingerbread. Froyo is already outdated, and would be a waste of time for Verizon to release it and then start work on Gingerbread. I am speculating the delays may be due to their intentions of releasing Gingerbread instead of Froyo. Now I know it sounds crazy, but it would make sense.

0 Likes
Re: Why Update To Froyo!
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

:facepalm:

0 Likes
HarleyDrifter
Contributor - Level 1

I just love it when "crazy makes sense".  LOL

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

lol.  How long do you think we'd be waiting to "officially" get Gingerbread if they haven't managed to push out Froyo yet?

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

actually gb is already being worked on, but im sure most of you know that

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

by xda developers, not by verizon or samsung.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

M91-30 wrote:

We don't necessarily know at this point.  Samsung is definitely working on it for the regular Galaxy S as there was a recent leak and they haven't said whether or not it would make its way to the US

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

M91-30 wrote:

who often provide updates prior to vzw

0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

Droidbotics wrote:

Why update to Froyo? It would be logical for Verizon and Samsung to scrap the Froyo build and start Gingerbread. Froyo is already outdated, and would be a waste of time for Verizon to release it and then start work on Gingerbread. I am speculating the delays may be due to their intentions of releasing Gingerbread instead of Froyo. Now I know it sounds crazy, but it would make sense.

I can see where it would be easy to believe that, looking at the Fascinate alone. But pan back, and look at Samsung's record with updating firmware as a whole, and it's much easier to believe that the delay is Samsung's lack of concern over updating their products versus selling newer hardware. Why give the consumer the software upgrade for free, when you could sell them a new phone for several hundred bucks? The only other possible explanation is pure incompetence (which, now that I think about it in context of the released firmware with Samsung phones, may not be all that far fetched. My Omnia and Omnia II were both nearly unuseable in virgin form)

Why does it take HTC an average of under 60 days to release an update after froyo is released for half their phones, but it takes Samsung nearly 160 days to release it for only one out of nine phones?

This is why I wish Verizon would release a pure Google phone, like the Nexus S. But it will probably never happen - Verizon is to concerned with loading their phones with useless junk and their awful apps, like VCast and VZNavigator (the iPhone being the exception).

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

TedKord wrote:The only other possible explanation is pure incompetence (which, now that I think about it in context of the released firmware with Samsung phones, may not be all that far fetched. My Omnia and Omnia II were both nearly unuseable in virgin form)

This is why I wish Verizon would release a pure Google phone, like the Nexus S. But it will probably never happen - Verizon is to concerned with loading their phones with useless junk and their awful apps, like VCast and VZNavigator (the iPhone being the exception).

my omnia 2 was perfectly usable using touchwiz, and as we have already established, putting the "vz" labeled software on these phones is a copy and paste operation, not some mystically long and drawn out process.

0 Likes