Why all the fuss?
jmaxwell92264

My biggest irritation with the Fascinate is the Bing integration.  I use Google like most everyone else and wish the Bing would go away completely.  But I haven't had the major problems that others are complaining about.  Missed calls?  I had one that I know of, but this would happen with previous phones I've had, probably more often than it is now.

I've had my phone about 8 weeks.  Could the serious problems be with older phones, or maybe the local network connection or something else?

We also got a Droid X2 recently, and the interface on the Fascinate is definitely much nicer.  I particularly like that the applications scroll sideways in pages, and not in a vertical continuum as on the X2.  And also, the X2 will not integrate Gmail and pop3 mail in the same e-mail app.

We have minor issues with both phones - can't get everything the way we like it on one phone.  But these issues are minor compared to all of the complaints I'm seeing on this forum.  Maybe I'm just not a "power-user" or maybe I'm just lucky enough to have a better phone or a better network than others have.  I'm not sure.  But over time, as I quit nit-picking the details so much and learn to live with the phones the way they are, I'm becoming happier with them.

0 Likes
Re: Why all the fuss?
maryl
Contributor - Level 1

I have an older Fascinate, acquired 10/17/10, at that time the phone had only been out one month. I do not/did not have any real issues with my phone, and I am not what I consider to be a power user. That being said, I feel we are among the more fortunate who did not have some type of trouble after the Froyo update, most notably the ED04.Most people on this forum who had difficulties with the phone functioning as a phone-with missed calls and texts. I believe all who said they had trouble, and obviously it was a widespread problem, or else VZW wouldn't have been replacing their Fascinates with other models. These people have a right to fuss about their phone not functioning as a phone, so because you and I didn't have problems, doesn't mean scores of others didn't, and they have a right to voice their opinions.

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

I for one had the missed Call Issue Severe after one hour of sitting my phone would not ring Period

I no for a Fact some phones were not affected and the people that have them are lucky

I bought a Fascinate used on eBay for my Son and his Never would have the missed Call bug So It has to be in the Phone not the network

All this being Said I feel Very lucky I did not get rid of my Fascinate

I am On the ED05 and have No Missed Calls--Battery life on mine with use is 5 Days Before having to charge

I do not think any of the Replacement Phones  DX2, INC2, or Charge  Can Compare

I Love the Size ,Screen and Features of my Fascinate

Great Phone

0 Likes
spurs21
Contributor - Level 1

wardcst24 wrote:

I for one had the missed Call Issue Severe after one hour of sitting my phone would not ring Period

I no for a Fact some phones were not affected and the people that have them are lucky

I bought a Fascinate used on eBay for my Son and his Never would have the missed Call bug So It has to be in the Phone not the network

All this being Said I feel Very lucky I did not get rid of my Fascinate

I am On the ED05 and have No Missed Calls--Battery life on mine with use is 5 Days Before having to charge

I do not think any of the Replacement Phones  DX2, INC2, or Charge  Can Compare

I Love the Size ,Screen and Features of my Fascinate

Great Phone

I never have gotten 5 days battery life out of my Fascinate , even before Froyo- 2 1/2 days at most with light use. It's probably one of the apps, right now I'm trying to rule that out. I only get 24 hours out of the battery now with light use, mostly phone calls. That's still pretty good for a smartphone, if you look at reviews for other models. 

0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe just Lucky I am not using a extended battery either

But I am Shutting Every thing off when not in use

Rotation,data,wifi,gps and dont have it checking email in the background

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

wardcst24 wrote:

Not being sarcastic but why have a smartphone if you shut off and don't utiize all its features?

0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

SFObrien wrote:

wardcst24 wrote:

Not being sarcastic but why have a smartphone if you shut off and don't utiize all its features?

Steve, I kind of do the same, when I am home, I use my laptop for email and internet and ocassionally use the phone when my laptop is turned off, all my functions are turned off except phone and text until need them.
0 Likes
wardcst24
Contributor - Level 2

nickjr wrote:

SFObrien wrote:

wardcst24 wrote:

Rotation,data,wifi,gps and don't have it checking email in the background

Steve, I kind of do the same, when I am home, I use my laptop for email and internet and ocassionally use the phone when my laptop is turned off, all my functions are turned off except phone and text until need them.

I turn off until I need them

I just don,t want to be bothered all the time with notifications

0 Likes
mytoy
After the update I don't have to charge my phone for 4 days. I use it a lot too. 5 days is even better.
0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

wardcst24 wrote:

nickjr wrote:

SFObrien wrote:

wardcst24 wrote:

Rotation,data,wifi,gps and don't have it checking email in the background

I turn off until I need them

I just don,t want to be bothered all the time with notifications

Makes sense I was just curious.  I leave everything but wireless on.  I use it for dowloading app updates and browsing much faster than 3G.

Thanks.

0 Likes