Re: Why are apostrophes replaced with "'"?
rfeng

negative.  I verified all of that before I made my first call to verizon to correct the issue.

0 Likes
psklenar

Wildman,

I suspect the issue is with the Android v4 stock email client or stock keyboard, not with the Galaxy Nexus as a device.  I've posted queries on the Google Android forums and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Help site, but haven't had any replies from either site yet.

I haven't tried a different email client (K9 Mail perhaps?) or keyboard yet.  Hopefully I'll have some time to test this weekend, but as rfeng also stated, the problem does NOT seem to be constant.  When I look in my SENT folder (via the phone or my home PC), my emails look fine.  but I have a couple friends who report that apostrophes are often, altho not always, replaced with the string '.  I know it's an HTML tag, I wasn't aware it's also an XML tag.  I also have other friends who've not mentioned any problems at all.

One of the ones who has a problem has a Hotmail acct and checks her email only through her IE web browser.  I created my own hotmail acct and sent myself a test email and didn't see any string substitution.  The other one who's told me of this issue uses both MS Outlook and the Yahoo web interface for her emails and reports seeing the behavior in both.  Both friends have included my emails in their replies and sure enough, all apostrophes are replaced with ' ...  yet when I look at my SENT folder ... ?

I posted here in hopes of finding someone else with the problem and maybe figuring out a common factor.  I hope to hear from the Google Android folks eventually.  But in the short term, I was also hoing that maybe someone knew of a way to configure the email client to send non-HTML (or maybe non-XML?) emails, because I've not figured out how to do that myself yet.

Thank you,

pat----

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

If you want to isolate the device as the issue you could consider a hard reset to verify that no app or setting could be causing the issue.

Another thing to look into is the contacts information and make sure that you haven't accidentally sent the emails through the website messaging system instead of the SMS, MMS service...  At the out going information for the individuals that had the issue shows the phone number as the sent to field and not the number @the carrier name.com

@

That is a possibility that I did not consider, you may be correct on that one..  In that case maybe trying K9 may help...  

By the way are the ones with issues on the same network by chance, if so then it could be a network issue on their end instead of yours?

0 Likes
rfeng

Pat,

So far you have given the most logical explanation I have heard so far.  Even though its not the end run for an answer I think you are on the right track.  The thing I noticed right off with Galaxy Nexus is that there aren't very many controls to the stock email installed on it.  My other issue is no thread in the emails that I send out.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced that also.

0 Likes
rfeng

Wildman,

no accidents.  I'm rather particular. I detect an issue I get more detailed in watching what I do. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

OK..  Well I am out of options, maybe someone else ran into this situation that found a solution but until now I haven't seen a solution being reported about this..

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=16873

Hope a solution gets found because I know that issue could be a but irritating..

0 Likes
rfeng

Some of those ppl make good complaint.  I am in business too and it got brought to my attention from another company that I had sent an email to.  Made me look like I was careless with my typing.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The issue is that even in that post the nature of issue wasnt identified for sure but it really is looking like a Android OS not a network issue..

0 Likes
psklenar

rfeng,

one of my friends contacted me because she was concerned that maybe i was having a stroke when she saw the first couple of emails with the "'"! Smiley Happy

pat----

0 Likes
psklenar

Wildman,

I've installed Handcent (initially for repeating & customizable SMS notifications) and haven't had any reports of the string substitution from anyone I've sent SMS messages to.  The problem appears to be only via the stock email client.

pat----

0 Likes