Why did Verizon remove Samsung Cloud. Your Cloud service sucks, and I rather have theirs
CURHOW4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon you make it hard at times to stay loyal.  All other carriers seem to do a better job at not altering there Android devices. 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why did Verizon remove Samsung Cloud. Your Cloud service sucks, and I rather have theirs
wayne88
Contributor - Level 1

When I first set up the phone, after setting up google/gmail and security features etc. your are asked if you either want to set up or log into your Samsung account. I just logged into the account that I had since the Note 3. If this is your first Samsung device or you failed to set up a Samsung account for another Samsung phone, you are also prompted to create a Samsung account. It is so seamless with AT&T and other carriers (having flashed AT&T ODIN files and even took phone to ATT for one week. But I missed some features about the Note 7 that AT&T didn't have and won't likely add until after the recall. Like Video calling and Wifi calling for Note 7. So I reflashed the VZW software and came back. You can find Samsung cloud using apps like QuickShortcutMaker  (look in activities rather than apps and then look for backup and you will find Samsung backup and restore) then create a shortcut for it.I am trying now to get "Device Maintenance" on my Note 7 (seamless on AT&T in settings menu). Anybody find it buried I the VZW interface?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why did Verizon remove Samsung Cloud. Your Cloud service sucks, and I rather have theirs
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon also removed the Samsung Pay app icon and the entire improved Samsung Settings menu & replaced it with their own inferior version on the Note7, and if that's not bad enough, they also installed the malware app called DT Ignite to install unwanted apps.

So, while we are all trying to anticipate how to best prepare for migrating AGAIN to a new replacement Note7, Verizon has removed one of Samsung's most helpful & valuable features from the Backup menu. It would have provided 15 gigabytes of free storage, plus the only built-in backup method that would make the transition so much easier if we are not able to have both old & new phones cabled together for transferring everything via Samsung Smart Switch (which worked beautifully for me migrating from Note3 to Note7).

To me, this just highlights that Verizon is more concerned about their own profits from cloud storage than what's best for customers or letting them choose.  It's hard to believe a company would go out of their way to remove such a valuable & free service offered by the phone manufacturer, and inexcusable.

It appears though that DT Ignite can be disabled, and the Samsung Cloud framework is still on the phone if you make an icon for starting it up.  There is also a PC version of SmartSwitch available from Samsung that will backup the entire phone contents to PC, including SD card data if desired, and restore it.  So that's another option.

CURHOW4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I disabled the DT inignite, and applied the link to try to access Samsung cloud.  But it still seems to not be able to connect to Samsung's server.  I also added Samsung pay. And to Verizon, if you're going to remove features to try and force us to use yours, at least make those apps of equal quality.

0 Likes
MetalWych
Enthusiast - Level 1

CURHOW4 Sep 4, 2016 12:14 PM wrote

"And to Verizon, if you're going to remove features to try and force us to use yours, at least make those apps of equal quality."

This ^^^

Well said, and I couldn't agree more...

0 Likes
DANNEW81
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with your assessment of verizon making bad decisions. They also removed the device maintenance feature. WAKEUP Verizon you are making the other carriers a lot more user friendly than you and way less heavy handed.

ghnote
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google search "I think I found Samsung Cloud on the Verizon Note 7" to find out how to get the Samsung Cloud backup working on your phone...very easy.

snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I restored a shortcut to the Samsung cloud...as ghnote said, if you Google it, you can find info on how. But the thing is, there's no Samsung account login..you can backup and restore info from this particular phone, but if you switch, then how will the new phone recognize your Samsung cloud info?

ghnote
Enthusiast - Level 3

You should have a Samsung account on your phone. I assume, this is how it is saved.

Re: Why did Verizon remove Samsung Cloud.  Your Cloud service sucks, and I rather have theirs
snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

So what would be the account number? The phone number? There is no indication of an account number or password of any kind. Is this cloud accessible online like the Verizon one is? If so, we'd need account numbers and passwords for Samsung.

snugglesmacks2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, after poking around in the "accounts" area of "settings", I found the Samsung account...mine is apparently tied to my Google account, which is fine, but it never asked. I can't find anywhere online to access the Samsung cloud, though.