Why did wallet stop working all of a sudden?
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

I used wallet less than a week ago with no problem. Now when I open it I get "UPDATE WALLET- this version of the Google Wallet app is no longer supported. Please download the latest version from the Android Market." When I select "update" I'm directed to the Play Store and then I'm informed that "! Your device isn't compatible with this version."

Anyone know what's up?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why did wallet stop working all of a sudden?
nathang
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google Wallet got updated to 1.5 R79 V5.

Go to XDA and do a search for it to get the APK to sideload it.  I would link it, but Verizon doesn't like the linking of useful sites and would much rather keep their users in the dark.

Ann, is most probably a Verizon employee << comment removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go ask Google. This is a peer to peer forum and us customer can only speculate what's going on.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe someone with google wallet can help << content edited to comply with >>

0 Likes
nathang
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google Wallet got updated to 1.5 R79 V5.

Go to XDA and do a search for it to get the APK to sideload it.  I would link it, but Verizon doesn't like the linking of useful sites and would much rather keep their users in the dark.

Ann, is most probably a Verizon employee << comment removed to comply with >>

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Gotta love exclusivity and a NDA... 

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=google_wallet&catId=service_exc...

It's exclusive to Sprint.  NO CARRIER outside of Sprint can use Wallet, and only the GSM carrier free Nexus can use it.  I honestly believe Sprint is blocking it, and Google can't say "Sprint is blocking it", but opted to say "Verizon is blocking it due to XXX" and Verizon due to an NDA with Google can only say "We are not blocking it because we need to have a commercial agreement."

What commercial agreement are we talking about?  Could it be Google wants Verizon to buy out the exclusivity?  Before anyone says there is no exclusive agreement.  Then answer this question.  When Verizon advertised the Galaxy Nexus as Exclusive in bold red letters it was taken down in less than 4 hours yet Sprint says they have exclusivity to Wallet?  If they didn't then Why Google hasn't taken that down since last year?

0 Likes
nathang
Enthusiast - Level 3

ISIS mobile payment system is a joint venture between ATT, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.  Notice which carrier is left out?

Seems odd Google would limit an app to just one carrier especially Sprint.  I could see phones being exclusive, but an app?  Google makes a good bit of revenue from apps and it would seem odd it would limit that revenue.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not an employee of Verizon Wireless nor have I ever been one.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

<< Content removed to comply with >>

0 Likes
carseller0822
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks nathang. I looked around over the weekend and downloaded it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Oddly you forget that Google is also in the Mega group to push mobile payments forward. Like I said in another thread Wallet CAN add Isis to it. Wallet is nothing more than a mobile terminal.

0 Likes