Why does Verizon have limited options for the Note 5 & Edge+?
Jgrass84

Verizon is such a disappointment. When the new Note 5 and Edge+ launched I was really excited. I arrived at my local Verizon retail center and asked them for a titanium/silver Note 5 in the 64GB variant. I quickly learned that Verizon did not carry that color option yet (and learned later that color isn't available in the U.S.) so I asked for the gold/platinum Note 5 in the 64GB variant. Same story with the titanium/silver, no dice. So I asked what colors are available for the Note 5 in the 64GB variant and was told that the only option would be black/sapphire. I said "okay then, since I only have 1 choice with the Note 5 then do I have any other color options for the Edge+". They said "yes" "there is black/sapphire, white/pearl, and gold/platinum". I told them I would like to purchase the gold/platinum Edge+ 64GB variant. They came back and told me that the only color option I would have for the 64GB variant would be the black/sapphire. I was upset bc I was under the impression that I'd have plenty of options. I later found that would be true if I switched to either Sprint,T-Mobile, or AT&T. All three of those mentioned carriers have more options than Verizon Wireless. I found that each have the black/sapphire and white/pearl Note 5 in the 64GB variant. I also found that each of those major carriers I mentioned have a black/sapphire, white/pearl, and gold/platinum Edge+ in the 64GB variant as well. After realizing this atrocity, I called Verizon customer care and complained about it and their excuse was that Samsung didn't make those color options available yet for the 64GB variant of either device. I quickly pointed out that 3 other major carriers have more options than Verizon and they told me there is nothing they can do. So I called Samsung and they told me the real story. I found out that Verizon didn't order as many color options as the 3 other major carriers I mentioned. I also noticed the Samsung accessories that are specifically made for both new phones are not available at Verizon yet. Verizon has little to offer when it comes to Samsung. While I was shopping for a new phone a sales associate in Verizon tried to offer me generic accessories for a new Samsung phone. I declined and went about my day trying to figure this whole mess out.

0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon have limited options for the Note 5 & Edge+?
Tidbits
Legend

T-Mobile  only has 2 colors. Black and white.

0 Likes
Jgrass84

That's good to know thank you.

0 Likes
Kenoki

While the other major carriers may only offer Black and White, they at least offered a 64Gb option of each at launch. I've been told that the White 64Gb will be available with Verizon near the end of Sept. I couldn't help but laugh each time I was offered a Black 64Gb and told I could put a White case on it...

0 Likes
Jgrass84

I'm beyond angry with Verizon for telling me that same crap. I'm like if I wanted a white case I'd buy one but I don't so don't tell me what to do. I want a silver phone with a clear case. I know what I want and it has nothing to do with what you think I should do. Thanks for this great customer service.

0 Likes
jungle36

I have been looking into AT&T because of this.

I left Verizon years ago because I wanted an iPhone when they refused it. I came back when they offered it because my family was on Verizon.

My phone is my most personal possession. You don't offer my color or my GB, I move on.

So expensive but care nothing for their customers.

0 Likes
Shodan96

I think I see a pattern.  They are offering limited options in the Samsung phones but every color and every GB size of the new iphones that aren't even out yet.  Sounds like an agreement with Apple to limit Samsung sales.  I stopped in to a Verizon store to ask if they will ever get the 64GB options in Samsung and they gave me some bull about the phones not passing Verizon tests.  Nobody is explaining why, not in the stores and no response online from Verizon.  Again, sounds like an Apple deal.  Oh well.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It could be a simple "buy" back option.

Also Samsung themselves doesn't bring all the colors to all the places in the world where there isn't any carrier involvement, and to get those colors you have to wait until they do or import it from Korea.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

The 64GB models were available online.  The stores are only barely retail stores now.  The responses to surveys and various things have shown that while there are customers that like to buy in the stores most of us use the stores more for research and demos and when we make that final determination we buy from online.  So in the stores they stock limited selections with limited options.  It actually was true of the iPhones as well.  Though, they probably did have more wide a selection of iPhones in stock.  The reason is a) iPhones are still the highest selling single phone out there.  Android may be bigger overall but no single phone comes close in sales.  So while they may sell a lot of Note 5s the ones they will sell in the store will generally be the cheapest model in the most common color.  They mostly sell in the stores to people like my parents who like technology but aren't immersed in it at all times.   

It isn't a conspiracy with Apple.  Apple gets to dictate more of the software stuff but that was mostly because of negotiations and track record. 

0 Likes
Shodan96

Thanks for the detailed reply fezzik.  I'm not sure I agree that the stores are barely retail as most are jammed packed every time I stop in for anything.  My original observation was around how Verizon is treating and carrying iPhone versus Samsung.  My observations include 1) iPhone is still featured on their homepage with no mention of the new Samsung, you need to find the Samsung edge+ phones, 2) On the smart phone upgrade page all iPhones are first, and the new Samsung's are on page 2 (not alphabetical), 3) You can order all four colors and all three GB storage option of the iPhone but you can only get the newest Samsung in one color black online and nowhere can you get the gold online or in stores.  You make a good point of the popularity of the iPhone so it is probably a business decision to focus on iPhone which was my original point that they are not focusing on the Samsung phones, unlike the other major carriers.  If I want to stay a Samsung user, I may need to consider switching carriers.  It's just business.

0 Likes