Why is the update taking so long?
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Howdee all.

I plugged my phone into my work pc today, to remove some photos for a project I'm working on. The software upgrade assistant began an upgrade, and when I went to check into it, it states that Android 6.0.1 is downloading. So, not really thinking about it, and noticing that it's supposed to only take 30-90 minutes, knowing I'll be busy for that long, I run it.

It's now 3+ hours later, and stuck in upgrading, at 83%, and the phone screen saying it's downloading, and in the upper left corner of the phone a bunch of really tiny comments.

There are 9 colored lines of text. The first line, red, appears to read-

OOIN MODE (HIGH SPEED)

The next four lines are white text, against the black background of the screen, and they are:

Product Name: my phone's info.

Current Binary: Samsung Official

System status: official

Reactivation Lock: off

The next two lines are gray.

Qualcomm Secure Boot: Enable (CSB)

AP SWRev: S1, T2, R1, A2, P1

A single line of blue

Secure Download: Enable

And a single line of white text

UDC Start

Here's the Vzw-SUA screenshot, with the model#, and my ph# blotted out.

SMIssues.jpg

In the 20 minutes I've taken to write this out, looking through a magnifying glass to see the text, and then type it out, as well as do a screenshot, and upload the image..... the %-age has not changed. It's still 83%.

I suppose my primary question is--- has this seized, and if so, how can I get it unfrozen? I'm off work in 3 hours, and I'm taking this thing with me--- regardless.

Please help. I really don't want to destroy my phone's contents, but I need this done in 3 more hours-- PERIOD.

TYIA.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: marshmallow upgrade taking longer than stated
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi.

This is 6 months later, but I decided to cancel the update, force a restart, and a few days, or perhaps weeks later, the update came up again, in a measure I was more comfortable with. I'm at 6.0.1.

I.e., the issue is resolved. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok.

Here's where this gets really weird.

I finally just unplugged, and rebooted my phone. It appears to be ok....

However, if I plug it back into my PC, it restarts where it supposedly left off. I then removed it again, and restarted the phone again.

I checked the android system updates, through the VZW network, and it says there are no updates available.

This is more than a little disconcerting. I'm not all that concerned about not receiving an update. I am however concerned about PC software saying, and initiating a, there is an OS update, causing a freezing of my phone, when the regular phone network say that nothing is available. There's just something seriously wrong about the same company sending mixed signals for technology.

There either is, or is not. You don't get both.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SteveBMe, I'd be just as concerned with a stalled update too. Here to help out. That is definitely strange that your phone states it is already updated, and that there is no new software available. Yet the assistant took states otherwise. Currently, if you go to Settings > About Phone > Is your phone set to Marshmallow / OS 6.0?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SteveBMe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi.

This is 6 months later, but I decided to cancel the update, force a restart, and a few days, or perhaps weeks later, the update came up again, in a measure I was more comfortable with. I'm at 6.0.1.

I.e., the issue is resolved. Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm glad to read that you were able to get the marshmallow update to download and install in an efficient manner, SteveBMe. I'm confident that you will love all of the enhancements that the update brings. What other question do you have for us?

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes