Why no simultaneous voice and 4G LTE data on S7?
notarycat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought the new S7 at Costco on May 7.  Worked great on test calls and data.  Drove the hour home, phone won't allow simultaneous voice and 4G LTE data.  In the valley at the store, the Advanced Calling is set to HD Voice & Video.  In my area, it automatically reverts to HD Voice only, and goes to 1x when on a call. 

0 Likes
Re: Why no simultaneous voice and 4G LTE data on S7?
rothfusz

I just noticed the same problem today myself. I'm wondering if it's something with the most recent "update".

Was hoping to see someone else on here that was having the same issue that had gotten an answer. I'm calling Verizon tomorrow, I will update when I get more information.

I am glad to see that it's not just me.

0 Likes
notarycat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent an hour in the store last Saturday, and another hour on the phone with Tech Support yesterday.  No answers available.  A friend suggested asking for a new SIM card, so I might try that.  Please let me know what you find.

bearone21
Legend

what happens if you don't select hd calling/video???

0 Likes
notarycat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know.  The option is greyed out and I can;t select anything.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure everything is functioning as it should. Are you aware if the feature in enabled on your account? KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dealmein
Contributor - Level 1

There is nothing wrong with your phone.  The Sprint S7 has both CDMA and LTE radios but only has 1 antenna for the radios to share.  Consequently, you cannot have simultaneous voice and data when you are on a CDMA call because the device uses the antenna for the CDMA radio while you are on a call.  The only way to get simultaneous voice and data on a CDMA carrier if the phone has only 1 antenna is if your call is routed over the LTE network - i.e., VoLTE.  However, Sprint has not yet implemented VoLTE.

Having only 1 antenna is a design choice that Samsung made to save money.  Verizon has implemented VoLTE and GSM carriers don't have this issue since LTE is a GSM technology and so their devices only have 1 radio.  This is only an issue on Sprint devices and until Sprint implements VoLTE, it will continue to be an issue as the manufacturers are no longer making phones with 2 antennas.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why are you discussing Sprint's implementation or lack of VoLTE?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dealmein
Contributor - Level 1

Forgot I was on the Verizon forum.  I have both Sprint and Verizon lines and I was posting earlier on a Sprint forum.  Sorry.  But the issue is the same for the Verizon S7 - only 1 antenna for 2 radios.

The only way to get simultaneous voice and data on the Verizon S7 is to enable HD calling on both your line and your phone.  Log online to your Verizon account and make sure that HD Voice is enabled.  You go to Plans and Services then Manage Apps and Products then free products.  Something like that you should be able to figure it out.  Then you can enable Advanced calling on your phone.

And once you do that then if you have a 4G LTE signal, your call will be placed over VoLTE and you will be able to do simultaneous voice and data.  But if you do not have a 4G LTE signal or if it is weak, the phone will route your call on the CDMA network and you will not be able to get simultaneous voice and data.

Older Androids used to have an antenna for each radio so this wasn't an issue back then. iPhones never did.  But now the Android manufacturers have decided to follow Apple's lead and only put 1 antenna in the devices.  Eventually Verizon will do away with the CDMA network and all calls will be VoLTE calls but that won't happen for awhile.

0 Likes
dealmein
Contributor - Level 1

You need to enable HD Voice on your line - see my post above.  Then power cycle the phone and you should be able to enable Advanced Calling in the settings.

0 Likes