Why won't my device work with Android Auto?
Ryan1025

My 2016 Camaro android Auto works with my S4 and not my S7. It is like there is a something in the phone software that does not detect android auto?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S7 edge not working with Android Auto?
gss1970
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found the solution to this issue.  I have a G7 Edge and a Pioneer 8100NEX running Marshmallow.

1.  The phone MUST be plugged directly into the back of the unit, NOT the USB hub in the front.

2.  USB debugging must be turned on.  To do this, you need to go to Settings, About Phone, press the Build Number 5 times until it tells you that you are a Developer.  Then when you go back to the Settings menu, Developer Options will appear in the System section of Settings.  Go into Developer Options on turn on USB Debugging.

3.  Each time you plug in the phone, you need to change the USB connection from Charging to MTP.  This is annoying but the only way that Android Auto will turn on.

Once you follow these steps you should be good to go.  I had my radio re-wired yesterday from the back and it now works flawlessly.  Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

This solution is from a thread with the same problem on AndroidCentral.com.

I am connecting a Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935T) on a T-Mobile Network to an AVH-4100NEX (1.053) in a 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis. I can confirm that my connection was successful and I was able to use Google Maps, Spotify, and Beyond Pod without error. Something different that I noticed with this phone was that I had to set a default setting the first time I plugged it into a computer, which I did prior to plugging it into my head unit. After plugging into my head unit, I had to press "Accept" on about 6 different permissions from phone logs, to messages, to media. Please note: I have USB Debugging turned on.

0 Likes
Ryan1025

I accepted all the permissions. How do you check USB debugging turned on? I checked by plugging in my USB to my computer and no message poped up.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1
  1. If you haven’t enabled the option already, go to “Apps” > “Settings” > “About phone” and tap “Build number” repeatedly until it says “You are now a developer“.
  2. You will now have an option under “Apps” > “Settings” called “Developer options” where you can enable or disable the “USB debugging” option.

This is how to enable debugging on a S6, it might work the same way on the s7

0 Likes
scottyb2210

Same issue here and I've tried the solution mentioned above with no success.  I have been able to get to the safety screen, but the touch screen would not work, it was like the software was locked and wouldn't go further.  I have a Pioneer 4100NEX installed in my truck that worked fine with my Note 4.  Very disappointing as I was expecting a smoother experience with the S7 Edge.

0 Likes
Eastenderz

I have a Note 5 and for the past 6 months I've had no issue whatsoever with Android Auto working on my AVH-4100NEX but only a few days ago I made the sad mistake of updating my OS to 6.0.1. Minutes later I plugged it into the radio to see if there were any new changes. Changes there were but not the kind I was looking for! The radio doesn't recognize the AA software. I've tried everything under the sun resetting, uninstalling, resetting the radio. Even updated the pioneer firmware to 1.05 which is the current. Somewhere in this Marshmallow update an error was made by someone. God knows how long before VZW sends us another update! We were definitely last in line when it came to this O/S.

0 Likes
gss1970
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found the solution to this issue.  I have a G7 Edge and a Pioneer 8100NEX running Marshmallow.

1.  The phone MUST be plugged directly into the back of the unit, NOT the USB hub in the front.

2.  USB debugging must be turned on.  To do this, you need to go to Settings, About Phone, press the Build Number 5 times until it tells you that you are a Developer.  Then when you go back to the Settings menu, Developer Options will appear in the System section of Settings.  Go into Developer Options on turn on USB Debugging.

3.  Each time you plug in the phone, you need to change the USB connection from Charging to MTP.  This is annoying but the only way that Android Auto will turn on.

Once you follow these steps you should be good to go.  I had my radio re-wired yesterday from the back and it now works flawlessly.  Hope that helps.

0 Likes