Wi-fi Authentication Error
MICLOO79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have two Galaxy S6 phones.  Both have recently developed this problem.  I get the message "Authentication Error Occurred" when I attempt to sign into my home network.  If I turn wi-fi off and then on, the phones connect.  I have updated and rebooted the phones, and rebooted my AT&T U-verse network Gateway.  Never had this issue before.

Tags (1)
Re: Wi-fi Authentication Error
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Are you using your security app from Verizon? If you are go into the settings and see if this app is blocking your connection to the router. There was a problem with this app after the last update doing this.

If you are not using this app if you go into settings-backup and reset then go down to reset network setting.

This will clear out the phone wifi settings and bluetooth settings it will not reset the whole phone.

You will have to put passwords back in but it might clear up this problem

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MICLOO79-

Oh goodness, that is definitely weird. But, I'm confident that we can get to the bottom of this together. Is this only happening with your home network or does this happen with other wifi connections as well? Have you verified that your login information for your home network is correct?

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JOHWHI46
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem.  Two S6 phones, AT&T Uverse router (less than 1 year old, installed by AT&T).  I believe that recent updates to Android 7.0 software have changed something.

Both Phones connect to my home wi-fi, as they have always done.  Within a few moments the wi-fi drops with an authentication error.  I can reconnect, it says that internet may not be available, then it finds it, then all is well for a few moments and we drop again on Authentication Error.  This process drains the battery within a few hours because the Auto Reconnect Option is set on the wi-fi settings.  As a work around for the battery problem, I turned off Auto Reconnect.  So now, the battery does not drain in the "infinite auto reconnect loop" but the wi-fi does drop every few minutes.

I have tried forgetting the network and re-logging in with the password. >> same result.

I have tried resetting the router by unplugging it >> same result

I have cleared the phone cache >> same result

I have seen posts that say "change your security settings" on the router and phone.  My security is set to WPA2/WPS.  This was the recommended setting by AT&T so I would like to leave it there and not degrade it to some lesser setting.

I am now trying the workaround to turn all off Verizon Security and Privacy App features to see if this is the culprit.

I also called Verizon and asked them if they had other complaints about this.  They said no, they checked my phone's battery and said it tested okay, but offered no other solutions.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JOHWHI46, we want to be sure you can fully enjoy the wifi with your phones especially in this day and age. We’d like to ask a few questions to help get to the bottom of this. Are other wifi networks giving you trouble? How long ago did you start seeing this issue? How were the results after turning off the Verizon Security and Privacy app?

StevenM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mgrzesiak12

not sure how my phone got on the block list but it did the trick

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As long as it is working, we are happy. If you have any further questions, we are here for you. 

RobertH_VZW

0 Likes