Will Verizon allow previous Note 7 users trade in early to get a Note 8?
KINNISON_PHILLIP
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was curious if Verizon is going to cater to previous Note 7 owners that were forced to turn in there phone due to the Recall? Samsung is giving note 7 owners a instant $495 trade in offer to allow them to get the new Note 8. This is only good for buying it through Samsung and would still mean having to pay the remainder of the phone you currently have first. I had a long discussion with a Verizon rep last night and said that I will still have to pay my remaining balance of my current phone to upgrade to the Note 8. Which is another problem. Only apple phones are allowed to upgrade yearly when they have paid 50% or more of their current apple device. All other phones now have to pay the full balance before upgrading. I think Verizon should make a special offer for former note 7 owners to be able to turn in there current phone, even if it means we don't get a trade in bonus, to be able to go back to the note phone. I hope a Verizon rep looks in on these forum questions and gets something in the works.

Labels (2)
72 Replies
NLH608
Enthusiast - Level 1

My question is does samsung reimburse Verizon for their phone when we trade it in??  It would be nice if Verizon could work something out with samsung.... if we get the phone at $425 off from samsung is Verizon getting the same deal and charging it's customers more?  Just not quite sure how that works.  I think it's crazy that I have to pay up front.  My note 5 was paid off so when I traded up to the 7 I didn't have to pay any out of pocket but now I have to pay off this s7e that I did not and still do not really want.

CK10
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is insanity. Neither Verizon or Samsung really care about the base of Note 7 owners.  When I read Note 7 users will get almost 50% discount I was relieved they came through.  But oh no.  I trade in my S6 for the Note 7 and get my trade in credit.  I am happy.  Then I am forced to return my phone and am forced to buy a new phone (can't get my S6 back) under the belief I would be made whole when the next Note came out.

Now the Note is here and the bait and switch is announced of up to $425 discount to Note 7 owners.  In the last line of the small print is the - this does not excuse you of your monthly payment on the phone you are trading in.  HUH?????  So as stated above as a loyal Note 7 owner I get to pay MORE for my Note 8 because I was loyal and bought the only decent phone available S7E and my balance is more than the trade in credit.  Oh yeah the S7E was still at premium pricing and I am financing almost $800 for a phone I passed on originally to get the Note.

I know I received a $75 credit for my trouble which ends up being less than minimum wage for the hours I spent at the Verizon store (which I hate to go into), talking to customer service again and again and then loading and reloading my apps and customization onto each phone.

So no, I disagree about taking the S7E back and let me pay full price for the Note 8, I want what is being portrayed for all the troubled Note 7 owners.  Take your S7E back and sell me a Note 8 at a discount like you are trying to make it look like you are doing.

Is this the same deal that you get in South Korea?  I bet not.

For the first time in years I am now looking at the new Pixel or LG (anything non Samsung) as a real alternative, when I take my 5 lines to T-Mobile!

acerhater
Enthusiast - Level 1

We traded in our Note 7's twice and downgraded to the S7 edge for all 3.  We were told that we would be able to upgrade to the Note 8 as soon as it came out with no out of pocket costs.  Guess we shouldn't have believed what we were being told.  I would love to get back to the Note series of phones but we cant afford paying off 3 phones then getting this awful per month discount.  Verizon should use the discount to pay off our downgraded phones and let us pay off or have monthly payments on the Note 8.  So disappointed.

RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

http://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/executive-bios

Email corporate!!

0 Likes
RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really hope Verizon is listening! The "deal" that they, and Samsung have

is not helping the majority of Note 7 users. I spent the majority of the

day yesterday on yhe phone with both companies, I will say Verizon was

easier to talk with, however, this issue cant be fixed with a customer

service rep, it needs to be addressed by someone on up the chain. I am just

hoping with the calls, text, emails and forums that one of those higher ups

will do something.

CK10
Enthusiast - Level 3

As everyone has stated buying a Note 7 was a disadvantage.  So you are now stuck in contract and the trade-in credit does nothing in reality because you are not going to make 2 payments until the Note replacement is paid off.

Solution:  Switch to T-Mobile.  They will buy out what ever value is left (up to $650) for every phone in your plan.  Or wait to pay off your phone and buy a different brand phone.

Samsung does not deserve my loyalty with this deal.  The Note 8 looks great but, there are great phones coming out everyday. The only major differentiation is the stylus.  Yeah there are other things, but most are very close seconds.

RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

T Mobile doesnt work where I live, so for me thats not an option.

0 Likes
BIGHAWK420
Enthusiast - Level 1

By the way the answer is NO.

0 Likes
RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon isnt going to help, Samsung isnt going to help...I think we should

be able to trade the phone in and have the trade it credit go toward the

payoff!

0 Likes
BIGHAWK420
Enthusiast - Level 1

I feel entirely betrayed by Verizon. My wife and I have been loyal customers for almost 10 years now. I was forced to give up my Note 7 because of this fiasco. I downgraded to the S7 edge. Now the Note 8 is coming out, they want me to finish paying for a phone that I didn't want in the first place, rather than being able to trade it in for the device I want.

I am extremely disappointed in the way Verizon is handling this situation.

Jackal726
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree. I am willing to pay for the Note 8,...just not on top of buying my Pixel to do it. It would be different had I not been told I would be able to trade Pixel back in once Note 8 came out.

0 Likes
RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been on the phone with Samsung and Verizon, sending emails and text,

messages through facebook. They keep saying they are looking into making

some changes, they've had a long time to work this out!

0 Likes
RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is how the "credit" is being applied that is the problem. Its not a

credit really..it should be applied to the balance of the phone you are

having to trade. I would not have traded my Note 5 off for a s7edge. But

actually, I had to. When the recall happened, I wanted my Note 5 back, was

told I had to choose another phone because the 5 wasnt available anymore.

I dont have a problem paying the 40 a month, but not in addition to having

to pay off this phone or continue to pay 36 a month as well.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the feedback, RRIDGWAY1217. Our team is reviewing the situation to find out the best course of action possible for the new Samsung Note 8 device after the Samsung Note 7 recall. Our current promotion can qualify for a discount of up to %50 towards the new Samsung Note 8 when purchased on a Device Payment Agreement.

JoshuaT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

We all understand the 50% off promo. The problem is we cant take advantage of that offer because we owe too much on these "replacement" phones. We arent able to use the Samsung offer for the same reason. My bill is 535, my payoff is 595, then the taxes for the note8 $95. In addition to buying new case, screen protector and new car charger. What we need is to have the replacement phone become eligible for upgrade by using the 480 toward the payoff, and I am willing to pay the 40 a month through the payment plan for the note 8. Not trying to get something for nothing, just want the credit to go where we need it.

RACBRO3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon....did you even read our concerns???

WE KNOW ABOUT THE 50% "PROMO"

It does not help us stuck in contracts with "replacement phones". Why should we have to fork out nearly $500 to pay them off?

Just give us our original 1yr 50% eligible upgrade back that you stole.

Or

Use the 50% trade in offer to pay off our old phones and give us a Note 8 full price.

Not hard. I really hope you are "reviewing the situation". Because the current one is not helpful and ridiculous.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/352826418481464/

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RACBRO3,

We understand how important having the latest and greatest can be. Currently, trades can be made once the Device Payment Agreement terms have been met. There are exciting offers available for your Note 8 once the loan has been met: http://www.samsung.com/us/galaxy/note8/Note7Promo/s/Trade-In/

Jive Signature:

KatiM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupportIf my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CK10
Enthusiast - Level 3

"We understand how important having the latest and greatest can be."

I don't think you do.  We bought defective phones from you after we traded in our old phones.  When we had to give them back ,you were happy to lock us into a 2 year plan (since most don't have an extra grand laying around).  Why did we buy phones we already passed on, waiting for the Note 7, because you took our phones (I could not get my S6 back). I would not upgrade to the Note 8 if I still had my Note 7 (So I don't care about the latest and greatest).

The solution is easy.  You are offering $480 to trade in a paid off phone, which happens to be less than what we owe.  So the $480 won't even get us to breakeven, again on a phone we didn't want, and now we pay off the rest of the phone. Now as a Note 7 owner we don't get any special treatment, except we get to pay more to switch to a Note 8.

So why not do the obvious.  $480 is for paid off phones right?  So give me 11/24  of the $480 (11 months of the 24 month payoff) towards a Note 8 and take your phone and payments back.

Why would I pay off this phone to get a Note 8 when I can have T-Mobile do it and save my self several hundred dollars?  It is cheaper for me to switch then do what your are proposing.

I hope you can understand how a prorated discount is much easier and fair!!! (and you won't lose my 5 lines along with others)

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want you to stay with Verizon and be able to have the phone that you've been waiting for, CK10. There is a special offer running on the Note 8 due to the Samsung recall on the Note 7 from last year. After paying the balance on your current phone and then trading in your device you will be paying $20 per month for the Note 8 instead of $40. At the end of the day you are saving 50%, the total cost will be $480 for this phone instead of the full retail price of $960. The manufacturer has fully recognized that customers have been through a lot with the Note 7 recall, this is why the special pricing is available when ordering through Verizon. After the Note 7 was recalled did you trade in for an S7 device? If so, this higher trade in value would only be available with the S7 model, when ordering through Samsung a Galaxy S6 has a trade in value of $200, or $336 through Verizon. Please use the See Offer Details link here: http://vz.to/2vnzCoq for more information. In addition, after the recall you would have been provided with at least $100 in bill incentive credits to your wireless account to thank you for  your loyalty and to help with the inconvenience of not being able to use the Note 7 phone. Does this help clarify things for you?

LaurenC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CK10
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lauren - Thank you for the reply. When the note was recalled I had to turn in my phone at the store and then I had no phone, so what was I to do (since I could not get my S6 back)?  As previously stated, if there was no Note 7 ever made, I would probably still have my S6 waiting for the Note 8.  Like many others I was under the impression Samsung/Verizon would make this right when the new Note was available.  Instead I am locked into a long term obligation I DID NOT WANT TO BE IN!  What I keep hearing is that all you have to do is pay off your phone and you get $480 off a new phone....BUT I owe that much on the old phone!  So you are basically allowing me to end my obligation (I did not want) with the $480 and resulting in a full price payment on the new phone?!?!  As I have said, T- Mobile will do that for me all day long.

I would be ecstatic to get $200 credit on my S6 right now, oh but I can't because I couldn't get it back.  But guess what 10/24 (10 out of 24 payments on the S7E) of $480 is $200.  I would also be ecstatic if you took back the phone I never wanted and gave me $200 towards the Note 8!

I owe $462 on the S7E, so my $480 savings on the Note gives me a whopping $18 benefit.  The other way to look at it is for $182 (the $200 credit that is fair - $18) you get to keep 5 lines and make a customer feel good about a company.  That is $36.40 a line for retention.

Oh and the $100 I received, I took as a training fee.  There were many hours both on the phone and in store that I educated the VZ representatives from issues on the return policy to how to transfer data to a new phone

Please re-evaluate the "Deal" you are offering customers in my situation.

Thank you.

RRIDGWAY1217
Enthusiast - Level 3

Like I've told others, if you have no dog in this fight, kindly step out.