Will not factory reset!!!
TURNandBURN13

I've been getting the notices to install update to 4.0.4.  When I begin the install the phone will automatically restart and go to this black screen with white google logo....and just freeze there forever.  I've tried this a bunch of times always the same result.

So I did what verizon told me to do and that is to do a factory reset.  Went into the settings app and did factory reset, but my phone did the same thing again!!  It just has a black screen with white google logo and it just stays like that forever!!!!  I tried this many times too all with the same result.

Then I tried doing the alternate method of a factory reset as shown here: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=51446#alternate

The alternate method also has the same result too in which there is a white google logo on a black screen.

Can anyone tell me how I can get this phone to do a factory reset????

I feel like my only options is >Post edited to comply with VZW ToS< or get a crappy refurb phone.  What do you guys think I should do?

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Re: Will not factory reset!!!
TURNandBURN13

<Comment deleted per .>

But can someone please tell me another way to reset my phone back to factory settings?

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you try and reflashing the factory image? It requires you unlocking the boot loader but you can relock it right after. The image can be found on Google's aosp pages and instructions can just be Googled.Keep in mind you need adb installed to do this.

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

Thanks tidbit!  Where can I get the adp, also I've been doing some research.  What is the adp?  Is this some kind of developer's kit?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Its built into the developers kit. there is a forum which can't be mentioned here that has the full instructions and the files you need down to a bare minimum.

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

Tidbits,

Would you know what my problem is....?  I have an unmodified Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I've had all kinds of issues with installing the IMM76K over the air.  I've been getting the install notices and when I click install, it reboots, but the only thing I see is a black screen with a white google logo and it'll stay on this screen forever.  Only way to reset is to pull out the battery.  I've tried this multiple times all with the same result.  Finally, I gave up and did as recommended by Verizon and that was to do a factory reset.  Interestingly (or unfortunately), when I do the factory reset, it restarts and all you see is a black screen with white google logo and it stays on this screen forever.  Only way to get out of it is to pull out the battery.  I tried the alternative method of factory reset which is to hold down the power and volume buttons, but I got the same result too, in which it freezes on a black screen with white google logo.

Can you please tell me what might be wrong with my phone.  Again, my phone is not modified in anyway.  Thanks.

It seems like something is wrong with my system, or my bootloader.  Additionally, my phone has really been solid, no dropped calls, no loss of reception, nothing weird, so I'm really hesitant in getting a refurb phone that might have additional problems. 

Anyhelp from anyone would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!!!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Corrupted radio or firmware. It may just hang. Can you get into boot loader or download mode? If you can then the device is able to be saved. The current stock image is 4.0.4 and should have the check sums so it greatly reduces the chances of a bad flash.

The radios will take the longest to flash, and you have to be patient on them. May take up to 10 minutes to flash the cdma radio.

0 Likes
TURNandBURN13

Hi tidbits,

Thanks for your help.  it's greatly appreciated.  How do I get into the bootloader or download mode?  Is this the mode where you power up the device and hold onto the volume keys?  As shown by verizon:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=51446#alternate

If so, whenever I go to recovery mode, it will also crash, in which there is a black screen with white google logo. It stays on this screen forever.  I'm definitely giving the phone ample time to process any data and I'm always hoping it is "doing it's thing" so I always give it a good half hour to do something, but it never does.

Do you think this means I have bad firmware?

Also, if you can private message me that would be great.  Thanks!

0 Likes