Will there ever be an update to fix the weak signal?
rickstaaaaa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello! I am one of those galaxy nexus owners who absolutely love the phone but HATE the weak signal...

When I am in an open area, I seem to get pretty good reception on my phone, but everything changes when I go inside a building! I get HORRIBLE reception inside buildings (like my house and work), which causes my phone to slightly heat up and drain battery very quickly. I am tired of having to turn on airplane mode in these situations to conserve battery! I can confidently say that it is the phone, not the area, that causes the weak signal because my friends who have Verizon iPhones get 2-3 bars of 3G when I have ZERO bars...

I have tried almost everything to improve signal (restart phone, take out battery and sim card, allow CDMA only, etc.) , and nothing seems to have worked!!! My sister, who also has a galaxy nexus, has the same problems as I do, so I doubt a replacement phone/sim card would be any help.

Does anyone know if Verizon/Google/Samsung will be releasing an update to improve signal for this phone?

0 Likes
Re: Will there ever be an update to fix the weak signal?
NeedMoreCoffee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm having these problems as well.  I keep thinking the next software update will fix it, but it hasn't.  At least not fully.  I was with my wife on a road trip over Thanksgiving weekend and took some comparison screenshots of both phones.  As you'll see in these screenshots, the Galaxy Nexus barely has a bar of 3G, while the iPhone boast full strength.  Yes, I know that bars are only a visual representation, but it's hard to get DBM information on the iPhone.  I can tell you the Galaxy Nexus couldn't even load a mobile friendly web-site, while the iPhone did. Here I avoided the iPhone 4S because of "signal issues".  A lot of good that did me.  Thoughts Verizon?  Replacement SIM cards don't fix the issue. 

SHOT #1

iphone1.pngshot1.png

SHOT #2

iphone2.pngshot2.png

SHOT #3

iphone3.png

shot3.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone was probably displaying the voice signal strength. The Nexus will display the strength of the 3G signal. I don't follow the bar anyway. The signal strength is dBm level is what you should be looking at.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rickstaaaaa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, but either way, the lack of strong signal increasingly drains the battery....