Re: froyo
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

M91-30 wrote:

you all act like samsung is so terrible. htc released the eris ~november 2009, it didn't have 2.1 until may 14th the following year. the fascinate has gotten numerous updates since it was released, and it's still under the 6 month it took htc to release a new os. so, stop complaining.

The bickering is ridiculous but comparing the Fascinate to the Droid Eris is like apples to oranges.  The Eris was a low end device and certainly not the flagship for HTC like the Galaxy S series is for Samsung.  The Eris was launched with 1.5 alongside the Droid (only 2.0 device) on Nov 6, 2009.  The 2.1 SDK was released the following January so a ~5month turn around time really isn't that bad.  The Froyo SDK was released in May 2010 and the Fascinate was launched Sept 9, 2010.  Now we're basically 9 months past when Google actually made Froyo available (~5 months after the Fascinate launch) and Samsung is just now updating its US versions.  I think the question should really be what's so different about the US variants that it took this long when some European versions got it as early as last November.  The whole point of the Galaxy S was to help rebuild Samsung's image as being notoriously slow to update their software and that certainly didn't happen in the US markets.  There is a gleam of hope with the xda-samsung thing so we'll see what the future holds because the Galaxy S II looks like a beast.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

in related news the nexus s (a galaxy s device) just got 2.3.3 :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, it'd be nice if Verizon would get a true "google experience" device that was managed by google like the N1 and Nexus S but it doesn't look we're going to get that.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

maybe if lte becomes a standard and any device will work, then maybe just maybe about 150 years from now it will be possible

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

PJNC284 wrote:

M91-30 wrote:

you all act like samsung is so terrible. htc released the eris ~november 2009, it didn't have 2.1 until may 14th the following year. the fascinate has gotten numerous updates since it was released, and it's still under the 6 month it took htc to release a new os. so, stop complaining.

The bickering is ridiculous but comparing the Fascinate to the Droid Eris is like apples to oranges.  The Eris was a low end device and certainly not the flagship for HTC like the Galaxy S series is for Samsung.  The Eris was launched with 1.5 alongside the Droid (only 2.0 device) on Nov 6, 2009.  The 2.1 SDK was released the following January so a ~5month turn around time really isn't that bad.  The Froyo SDK was released in May 2010 and the Fascinate was launched Sept 9, 2010.  Now we're basically 9 months past when Google actually made Froyo available (~5 months after the Fascinate launch) and Samsung is just now updating its US versions.  I think the question should really be what's so different about the US variants that it took this long when some European versions got it as early as last November.  The whole point of the Galaxy S was to help rebuild Samsung's image as being notoriously slow to update their software and that certainly didn't happen in the US markets.  There is a gleam of hope with the xda-samsung thing so we'll see what the future holds because the Galaxy S II looks like a beast.

the difference is the radios, the camera, and possibly every bit besides the processor. the galaxy s only actually dictates the screen and the processor. the cameras have several versions, there are 3g, 4g, cdma, gsm, ect... all these differences add up to a completely different set of coding needed to make the radios play well together and with the OS (as I understand it).

as far as the nexus S, you cannot compare it to the other galaxy s phones, as it doesn't use touchwiz, which needs further coding to get to work.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

M91-30 wrote:
the difference is the radios, the camera, and possibly every bit besides the processor. the galaxy s only actually dictates the screen and the processor. the cameras have several versions, there are 3g, 4g, cdma, gsm, ect... all these differences add up to a completely different set of coding needed to make the radios play well together and with the OS (as I understand it).

I majored in Computer Science so I'm familiar with the development process and trying to get something to work on various hardware.  Aside from wimax, those radios are available in the other carriers around the world.  There certainly isn't enough of a difference in the frequencies to cause a significant delay.   They should have the framework in place to deal with those slight variations and then just be able to apply touchwiz on top but instead, their developers apparently like to hardcode values and break the native android framework to get their stuff to work.  Any developer who has looked at their code would probably bang their head against the wall at half the stuff they do.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

I agree, they SHOULD have the framework out there to make updating easy, but as you say, they probably choose the hard way. I'm not sure why they do this, all I can think of is that this is still a "budding" OS, and they haven't cared to make updating easy, yet. hopefully at some point they get things together so they can compile updates in a matter of weeks, or days instead of months.

0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Hi. 

Verizon Wireless began pushing Android 2.2, Froyo, to the Samsung Fascinate on April 21, 2011.  Enhancements include support for Adobe Flash Player.  You can visit www.verizonwireless.com/fascinatesupport for more information and download instructions for the software update.  Customers are able to download the update manually by going to Settings > About Phone > Update Phone.

Thank you,

0 Likes