Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
how to remove applications I will never use
DM6156
Member

I want to uninstall the applications that I know I will never use.  Some examples are NFS Shift, Tetris, VZ navigator, City ID and that annoying skype mobile. I keep killing the skype process and yet it somehow keeps restarting. I don't have skype, will never use skype and do not know anyone that does use skype! I don't want it running anymore and sucking up free space or my battery.  

 

Other sites say it's not possible without paying for software to "root" the phone. That is silly.  VZ and samsung should not be able to force me to run software i will never use (sounds like Microsoft and IE lawsuite from years past). It's suggested to save the battery you don't leave processes running, that's hard to do when I kill it and it still starts!

 

 

help me verzion!

0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
nickjr
Novice

DM6156 wrote:

I want to uninstall the applications that I know I will never use.  Some examples are NFS Shift, Tetris, VZ navigator, City ID and that annoying skype mobile. I keep killing the skype process and yet it somehow keeps restarting. I don't have skype, will never use skype and do not know anyone that does use skype! I don't want it running anymore and sucking up free space or my battery.  

 

Other sites say it's not possible without paying for software to "root" the phone. That is silly.  VZ and samsung should not be able to force me to run software i will never use (sounds like Microsoft and IE lawsuite from years past). It's suggested to save the battery you don't leave processes running, that's hard to do when I kill it and it still starts!

 

 

help me verzion!


Not going to happen, unless you do what Verizon prohibits you to do to your own personal phone, unless you want to void your warranty like many have in the past. I agree with you as I know others would however it is what it is...
0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
mdram4x4
Leader

DM6156 wrote:

I want to uninstall the applications that I know I will never use.  Some examples are NFS Shift, Tetris, VZ navigator, City ID and that annoying skype mobile. I keep killing the skype process and yet it somehow keeps restarting. I don't have skype, will never use skype and do not know anyone that does use skype! I don't want it running anymore and sucking up free space or my battery.  

 

Other sites say it's not possible without paying for software to "root" the phone. That is silly.  VZ and samsung should not be able to force me to run software i will never use (sounds like Microsoft and IE lawsuite from years past). It's suggested to save the battery you don't leave processes running, that's hard to do when I kill it and it still starts!

 

 

help me verzion!



head over to xda

 

you dont have to pay for the sftware to what we cannot talk about

0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi DM6156,

 

I understand your concern regarding removing applications that you are not using.  Please provide a little more details.  Were these applications pre-installed?  Or, were they downloaded and you are requesting to remove them from the device?

 

In the meantime you can remove an application by going to: Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Highlight the requested application>Uninstall.  I am hopeful these steps resolve your concern, please reach out to me for additional assistance.

 

 

Thank you for your patience,

0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
nickjr
Novice

AyaniB_VZW wrote:

Hi DM6156,

 

I understand your concern regarding removing applications that you are not using.  Please provide a little more details.  Were these applications pre-installed?  Or, were they downloaded and you are requesting to remove them from the device?

 

In the meantime you can remove an application by going to: Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Highlight the requested application>Uninstall.  I am hopeful these steps resolve your concern, please reach out to me for additional assistance.

 

 

Thank you for your patience,


I think the user is talking about pre-installed apps which cannot be deleted by normal means
0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
DM6156
Member

Yes, you are correct. As stated in the original post, I'm trying to uninstall applications I will never use that came on the phone when it was purchased.

 

The biggest annoyance for me right now is Skype, I can not stop it from running!!! Skype keeps magically starting itself.  It's annoying and taking up system resources. I don't use skype, I don't want to use skype, I want it GONE!

 

I will go to settings > applications > running services. I will see skype mobile. I click on it, force stop it. At some point later (phone has not been powered off/back on) skype mobile will start again.  I keep killing it and it just won't stay dead! 

 

Samsung support recommended I contact my service provider, they say there is nothing they can do to uninstall skype or prevernt it from running.

 

I am surprised that I can not uninstall software or at the very least keep 3rd party software from running on my phone.  

 

help me verizon!

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
nickjr
Novice

DM6156 wrote:

Yes, you are correct. As stated in the original post, I'm trying to uninstall applications I will never use that came on the phone when it was purchased.

 

The biggest annoyance for me right now is Skype, I can not stop it from running!!! Skype keeps magically starting itself.  It's annoying and taking up system resources. I don't use skype, I don't want to use skype, I want it GONE!

 

I will go to settings > applications > running services. I will see skype mobile. I click on it, force stop it. At some point later (phone has not been powered off/back on) skype mobile will start again.  I keep killing it and it just won't stay dead! 

 

Samsung support recommended I contact my service provider, they say there is nothing they can do to uninstall skype or prevernt it from running.

 

I am surprised that I can not uninstall software or at the very least keep 3rd party software from running on my phone.  

 

help me verizon!

 

 

 

 

 

 


Not going to happen with Verizon, I guess all companies put in this bloatware for some kind of kick back of having users use their software instead of letting the user use what they want..
0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
DM6156
Member

nickjr,

 

that's what I have been reading and that is just silly.  But, the bigger issue to me is why my phone RUNS software I have no control over and can never kill. HUGE issue for me.

 

Am i the only one who can't kill skype mobile?

 

-DM6156

0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
SFObrien
Novice

It's called "BLOATWARE" and it is forced on you whether you want it or not.  Some of it takes away resources, reduces battery, and causes other issues.  

 

The devices run much better and smoother without the bloat.  And YES Skype can be stopped but not without doing what we can't discuss on these forums.

0 Likes
Re: how to remove applications I will never use
nickjr
Novice

DM6156 wrote:

nickjr,

 

that's what I have been reading and that is just silly.  But, the bigger issue to me is why my phone RUNS software I have no control over and can never kill. HUGE issue for me.

 

Am i the only one who can't kill skype mobile?

 

-DM6156


You have a choice but it cannot be talked about here to resolve your issue
0 Likes