oreo update - maps not working
frustrated22

After the Oreo update to my Galaxy S8+, i am having trouble with google maps while driving. GPS won't keep up with where I am located. The google maps that come up while using Android Auto also has issues. (I say this, because although it says Android Auto uses google maps, while in Android Auto, the mapping program looks different on my screen than if I were to use native Google Maps.)

All apps are up to date.

I am considering uninstalling Oreo, unless there is a fix?????  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: oreo update - maps not working
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't uninstall the update. You can try to clear the system cache through the recovery menu.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to see you stay on the right route as I know the importance. Have you tested any other map or GPS applications? Have you restarted the phone since the original update? 

0 Likes
PIERREDV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Similar problem here, though with a Samsung S7. I was updated to Oreo G930VVRU4CRE5 on Saturday June 15th at 07:19 Pacific, and GPS no longer works.

I've tried deleting the Google Maps cache; no luck. Rebooting the phone doesn't work either, nor does cycling GPS.

I'm use the "GPS Status" app (version 8.1.171 Pro) to check GPS functionality. 99% of the time it doesn't even show the cached satellite locations. Powering GPS on and off repeated sometimes, eventually, brings up the satellite data, but then the phone doesn't acquire signals from them.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a similar issue after the latest update. We'll be more than happy to troubleshoot in an attempt to improve your Google Maps experience. Are you able to browse the internet with Wi-Fi disabled? To check for any device concerns, I'd like for you to run a device health check http://spr.ly/6580DlglO. Select any categories with an exclamation mark for details on fixes for that specific category. 

Corey_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PIERREDV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Corey.

Internet access without Wi-Fi works.

I’ve run the health check; no issues related to GPS.

I think I’ve solved the problem, however: it seems to be a Samsung S7 hardware issue exacerbated by Oreo, somehow. If I switch off all the comms radios (Wi-Fi and cellular data, e.g. by going into airplane mode), then GPS signal acquisition works. With the Wi-Fi or cellular data radios on, GPS signal acquisition fails. Once I’ve acquired GPS location, I can switch on the comms radios, and GPS tracking continues OK.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PIERREDV, I'm glad to see you found a workaround. But, that does seem like a lot of steps that are not needed to make the GPS work on your phone. Are all the applications up to date in the Google Play Store after you completed the recent software update? Please keep me posted.

Kevin_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PIERREDV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, all the apps are up to date.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PIERREDV, 

We appreciate you all the work and time you have put into this issue. We are glad you have found a workaround. We will submit this information, along with the issue, to the device manufacturers and the software developers. Please keep us posted with any additional details or updates. 

Jenelle_VZW

0 Likes
marks20_5g

Same issue on my s20-5g after applying System Update 18.  Very frustrating indeed!

In my case, I pulled over, rebooted my phone and started working properly. 

0 Likes