"feeds and updates" widget causing major lag since froyo
micp879
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey guys,

Ive noticed that ever since I downloaded the Froyo OTA update last week, the "feeds and updates" widget is causing MAJOR lag issues. It takes several seconds to move from that screen that the widet is on, and trying to scroll through the widget is VERY slow and choppy. I have tried both the soft reset and the hard reset, without any improvement. If I remove the widget from the screen, my phone gets significantly faster, and the lag pretty much disappears, so Im pretty sure its that widget causing the problem. Has anyone else noticed this problem, and if so, is there any way to fix it?  I like using that widget for my facebook updates, and want to keep it!

0 Likes
Re: "feeds and updates" widget causing major lag since froyo
skak8664

same prob here man searching for an answer let us know if you find one

0 Likes
Kizersosei

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate and since the Froyo 2.2 OTA update last week, my phone turns into a brick as soon as I add my Facebook account to the Feeds and Updates widget.  The screen locks up, I can not scroll the wall up and down, and scrolling the screens left and right takes forever; they freeze between screens and everything lags to the point where the phone becomes useless.  I powered the phone down and up, took the battery out, no remedy.  A hard reset on the phone will make the phone usable again, but as soon as I add Facebook back to the Feeds and Updates widget, the phone starts locking up again.  Called Verizon and they reached out to Samsung who thought there was a glitch during the download of the 2.2 software, so Verizon sent me a replacement phone of the same make and model.  As soon as I activated it, it told me Froyo 2.2 was ready to be downloaded to the phone for updating.  Did that, everything was working fine UNTIL I added my Facebook account to the Feeds and Updates widget; the phone started lagging and locking up as the previous one did.  I'm waiting to talk to Level 3 support with Samsung as I write this.  Please note, if I reset the phone and don't add my Facebook account to the Feeds and Updates widget, the phone is usable.  However, I did notice that in Vibrate Mode with text message and email notification, the vibration barely lasted a millisecond; I could not feel the vibrations in my pocket.  In my opinion, this 2.2 update is flawed and needs re-working.  I had no issues with this phone with the 2.1 software, and would prefer to go back to it if possible until 2.2 is fixed or another, non-buggy update is released for this phone.

0 Likes
micp879
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
nickjr
Contributor - Level 3

Kizersosei wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate and since the Froyo 2.2 OTA update last week, my phone turns into a brick as soon as I add my Facebook account to the Feeds and Updates widget.  The screen locks up, I can not scroll the wall up and down, and scrolling the screens left and right takes forever; they freeze between screens and everything lags to the point where the phone becomes useless.  I powered the phone down and up, took the battery out, no remedy.  A hard reset on the phone will make the phone usable again, but as soon as I add Facebook back to the Feeds and Updates widget, the phone starts locking up again.  Called Verizon and they reached out to Samsung who thought there was a glitch during the download of the 2.2 software, so Verizon sent me a replacement phone of the same make and model.  As soon as I activated it, it told me Froyo 2.2 was ready to be downloaded to the phone for updating.  Did that, everything was working fine UNTIL I added my Facebook account to the Feeds and Updates widget; the phone started lagging and locking up as the previous one did.  I'm waiting to talk to Level 3 support with Samsung as I write this.  Please note, if I reset the phone and don't add my Facebook account to the Feeds and Updates widget, the phone is usable.  However, I did notice that in Vibrate Mode with text message and email notification, the vibration barely lasted a millisecond; I could not feel the vibrations in my pocket.  In my opinion, this 2.2 update is flawed and needs re-working.  I had no issues with this phone with the 2.1 software, and would prefer to go back to it if possible until 2.2 is fixed or another, non-buggy update is released for this phone.

If that is your wish for now, I see no problem in you going back to 2.1. Verizon support should be able to provide you with that os. Just be sure you don't then check for any new updates.
0 Likes
micp879
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for sharing your story; it sounds identical to what I am dealing with. If you happen to come up with a solution, please let me know. Its very frustrating; I have tried multiple hard resets, without improvement. You are the 4th person I have come across that is dealing with this exact problem, and I am sure there are several more out there. If I happen to figure out anything out, I will post it here.  Thanks.

Keith

0 Likes
micp879
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also, Ive discovered that it only seems to happen when I have that "feeds and updates" widget linked to my facebook account. If I unlink my facebook account, and link some other account, such as myspace, it doesn't have major lag. So I wonder if its some issue with the phone not playing nice with facebook. Just a thought.

Keith

0 Likes
Kizersosei
I have found that it is only with Facebook as well. If I just link my Twitter account to the Feeds and Updates widget, it works fine. However, as soon as I integrate Facebook into Feeds and Updates, the phone starts freezing up again. I just tried adding Facebook to Feeds and Updates on the other Galaxy S Fascinate on my account and it froze up as well. I have a second replacement coming, and I don't think it will work any differently. I will call Samsung Level 2 and 3 support tonight and let them know this is just not an isolated issue with a few Galaxy S Fascinate phones as they were telling me last night. Also, anyone else having trouble with text message and email notifications that the vibration notifications for these are basically non-existent when receiving them? The vibration length is so short now since the 2.2 update, I can no longer feel it hardly at all.
0 Likes
Kizersosei
No. Samsung Level 3 support said it is not possible because of the way they have the Over The Air programming setup. When I activated the replacement phone last night, it automatically prompted me about the 2.2 update and started to download it on its own. Then, after it downloaded it, it prompted me to install it and it did not give me the choice not to. In fact, I could not get anywhere else in the phone without installing the update. Samsung needs to address the issue and fix this flawed update, let us go back to 2.1 or gives us a comparable Verizon Android phone that works with Froyo 2.2 at no cost to us.
0 Likes
DonM
Contributor - Level 2

micp879 wrote:

Also, Ive discovered that it only seems to happen when I have that "feeds and updates" widget linked to my facebook account. If I unlink my facebook account, and link some other account, such as myspace, it doesn't have major lag. So I wonder if its some issue with the phone not playing nice with facebook. Just a thought.

Keith

My Fascinate's battery use increases dramatically if I stay logged into Facebook. I think there is something going on with the Facebook app. The above posts only increase that feeling.

0 Likes