Re: why doesnt unit switch down to 3G when 4G is unreliable?
MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

Well, it's recommended that if you're having issues with your device to first remove any covers or accessories.  So normally when I have an issue, my otterbox is already off.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Yeah, you can only remove the plastic cover under the rubber cover so many times before those tabs snap off.

0 Likes
wlb3890

My problem still exists. Compared with another Galaxy 4 and found that his signal strength was -90 to -96dbm, mine run from -118 to -128dbm.

What should I do next?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Is the other Galaxy S4 right next to you in the same room on the same network?

0 Likes
wlb3890

Within two feet of each other and both on 4G.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

OK.  I'll give my example.  2 LG G2s, same room, both Verizon.  I will leave Advanced Calling/VoLTE out of this example even though it made a difference between my 2 phones, I also disabled that feature on both phones.  Both phones had equal signal, but my calls dropped and data was slow.  Other phone, no change, just worked, no problems.

You have tried reseating the SIM, no change.  I don't buy into the idea that cases make that big of a difference in signal.  XLTE is the only thing I can think of in my example, but it is only a theory and IDK if you have that in your area even though the S4 is capable.  For whatever reason, my phone uses a weak XLTE band and the other uses a strong LTE band.  Why my phone decides to run on the other band, IDK.  I thought it might be that idea that new phones grabbed the weak 4G over the strong 3G like how it now grabs weak XLTE over a stronger LTE, or that maybe the towers decided to divide the phones based on location and traffic.  Theories.

In the end though, my G2s don't allow network switching.  Global, LTE/CDMA, and GSM.UMTS are all my choices.  I cannot run 3G only, I cannot run the standard 4G bands, if XLTE is available the network pushes me over. 

Perhaps you can change your radio Settings / More Networks / Mobile Networks / Network mode.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for checking the signal on the other device, wlb3890. We want to get you the same great signal as other Verizon devices around you! Were those readings you provided the 4G LTE, 3G, or 1x/EVDO readings? Did you notice this lower signal from the first day the S4 was activated? Do you have any type of case on your device?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
wlb3890

4 G LTE on both phones.

I didn't know how to check signal strength until now so don't know what it was when activated.

I have had the drop call problem since activation and haven't been able to find out what the problem was.

Verizon stores have checked it many times and say nothing is wrong with it, it just doesn't get a strong signal at any time. I have another phone 3 G that has a good signal all the time. Had a Motorola before that with no signal problems.

Samsung has given me a problem from day 1 but always seems to work when I take it to a store for them to troubleshoot. No one told me what the signal strength readings were in comparison  to one that was working good.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The Verizon store will ALWAYS have a strong signal.  Count on it.  I battled the slow speed, low signal thing for a while. Still have it too. Verizon will only admit to the outside signal, never an indoor signal.  they loosely stand behind their coverage maps, but again, coverage maps are only intended to be a guideline for outdoor signals.  Only other thing I can think of is that you are connecting to a different tower.  Since our phones no longer update the PRL via *228 we have to rely on the SIM to do that for us.  Since you have already taken out the SIM and reinserted with the phone off, it should have properly updated the PRL or tower locations when you powered on.  You can see, possibly, what tower you are connected to in relation to the other phone by using Open Signal app or other apps similar to it.  3G 4G WiFi Map & Speedtest - Android Apps on Google Play for tower info and Network Signal Info - Android Apps on Google Play to tell if you are running on Band 13 LTE or Band 4 XLTE.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend
0 Likes