Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MOD PLEASE VIEW : This Community Doesn't Work on Windows 8 / IE 10
hopmedic
Novice

Since I had created a community login either before I realized, or before logins could be tied to (I don't remember which was the case) My Verizon logins, I have a separate community login from My Verizon login.  (separate issue, but if there is a way to tie them together, I'd love to know it, but the username I use for my community, I used for a prior My Verizon login, so it may not work).

When I attempt to login on Windows 8 with IE 10, I have to choose the compatibility mode of IE 10, then the page reloads, then I select the Community login, enter my username, and then my password (which does not show as dots - it does not mask the password).  When I click submit, it takes me to a failed login, where there is no Community login option, just My Verizon login or phone number, and password.

As October 26 is approaching very rapidly, and there will be many more people using Windows 8 and IE 10 starting on that date, you need to have your web team test this site in Win8/IE10 asap and get it fixed, or you will be facing many frustrated users, unable to log into the community forums.

0 Likes
Re: MOD PLEASE VIEW : This Community Doesn't Work on Windows 8 / IE 10
rothenbjlogin

I don't think it is a Win8 IE issue.  It's just screwed up.  I was logged into My Verizonwireless account and wanted to get into the discussion forum that I believe is shared by the two Verizons.  It doesn't give you the option to have your username and.or password forwarded to your email address which could alleviate having to set up a new username and an alternative email address which I had to do to get into here.

0 Likes
Ann154
MVP MVP
MVP

The Verizon Wireless Community http://community.verizonwireless.com and the Verizon Residential forum http://forums.verizon.com/ are two separate community forums. At one point prior to mid 2010, they were the same community. However they were split into two separate forums at that time. There are two options for logging into the community. One is a community only ID and the other is an ID tied to your MyVerizon account. It could be possible to have a different ID connected to the residential MyVerizon account from the ID tied to the Wireless MyVerizon account.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Novice

It is not limited to just Windows 8.  It is Internet Explorer 10.  And since Windows Phone 8 uses IE 10, I get the same result on my Windows Phone 8 device.

If you go to community.verizonwireless.com, and click login, the login page comes up.  If you are like me, and use a community login instead of using my MyVerizon login, I choose Community Login from the selector, then enter my login and password.  The first sign of a problem is that the password is not masked (you see the password instead of the circles or asterisks, or whatever your particular browser shows to mask a password).  Then when you click Sign In, it takes you to a page with a login error, this time you don't get the option to choose a community login - you only get a MyVerizon login option.  It says the information you have entered does not match the information we have .........  Blah blah blah.  Following the same process works perfectly for me in Firefox, or on my work computer where I'm stuck using IE 8.

And just so you know that you're not dealing with a novice, I wrote my first computer program in 1981, and I play in a database for a living, and have written a few Windows Phone apps just for kicks.  I know what I'm telling you, and I'm telling you that Verizon's web developers need to test their community forums in IE 10 and signing in with a community login vs a MyVerizon login, and fix the problem.  Over on WPCentral.com, I have had someone private message me because he noticed that I was posting on both those forums and these, and asked me how I was able to log in over here, because he was not able to log in on Verizon's forums.

Verizon, your forum is broken.  While your mods are over on the Windows Phone (misnamed Windows Mobile, after the depricated platform, also by Microsoft) wasting time on a witch hunt moderating a half a dozen or more of my posts at a time, with benign content (this post being just one example of a post that I saw the marking "This post currently under moderation" shortly after I posted it - seems Verizon's Mods don't want me to talk up their phones), you're ignoring this one over here that is calling for attention to fix your broken web site.

And yes, I realize you're going to moderate this post, because of my gripe about you moderating my posts.  I'm about this (holding finger and thumb pinched together tightly) close to leaving VZW forums with my beneficial knowlege for your customers anyway, because I'm fed up with your mods and their witch hunts anyway.  I don't know what the problem is, and frankly, I don't much care.  There are better places to go, and I am just trying to help people out, and here, those people are the customers that you don't want to help, since the customers I help are the ones on Windows Phones.

0 Likes
xs11e

It's an IE 10 problem.  I posted about it elsewhere.  The software the forum is using is incompatible with IE 10, I tried it using Windows 8 with IE 10 and Windows 7 with IE 10.

Fortunately, Windows 7 allows me to go back to IE 9 so I can post this, with IE 10 I can log in but none of the buttons work, I can't reply nor can I "like" a post, the cursor changes to a hand as it should but clicking does absolutely nothing!

Changing to compatibility view doesn't help either.

This needs fixing very quickly!

0 Likes
hopmedic
Novice

Yeah.... I tried telling them this months ago... This is not the first thread I've started on the subject - one of those threads got an answer, probably about a month after I posted it, and probably more than a month ago, saying that they would forward it to the web team, but no progress has been made.  They don't give a hoot about those of us who are on the cutting edge, and their developers are apparently on the blunt edge.

0 Likes
xs11e

The problem is the forum software VZW is using, if they update it'll be fixed.

Meanwhile, there is a work around.  When in IE10 just press F12 and select "Browser Mode IE9" and "Document Mode: IE9 standards".

You must do BOTH to make it work and it's not "sticky", you'll have to do it each time you log in.

0 Likes