Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
They give out our email addresses?!!
GettingEven

Great!  So now I click on the little box with that weird picture in it, (why did they pick one like that? I sure didn't.)  ..and it shows under some "public" area heading...  MY EMAIL ADDRESS!

In addition to selling defective phones, refusing to take themback if you miss their "deadline",  charging my family for it for two years, they apparently also allow spammers free access.

God I will be glad when that contract expires at the end of the month.

This company is unbelievable.

0 Likes
Re: They give out our email addresses?!!
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

GettingEven wrote:

Great!  So now I click on the little box with that weird picture in it, (why did they pick one like that? I sure didn't.)  ..and it shows under some "public" area heading...  MY EMAIL ADDRESS!

I am sorry, but I have no idea what you are speaking of. What email, from whom? What weird picture?

0 Likes
JenniferM
Novice

Hi GettingEven,

If you are talking about your profile here on the forum, you will need to change the default settings to make your email private.  To do that:

Go to My Setting > Preferences > Privacy

As far as the little box with the weird picture, your avatar, that can be changed as well.

Go to My Settings > Avatars.  You can choose any avatar you like from there. :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps,

Jennifer

0 Likes
planplanplanact

Getting Even (GE) is typical of customers, they often don't know what they don't know (unconsciously ignorant).  And typical of respondents, we often don't listen to what they are really saying, but respond anyway.

The posted rant combines many grievances instead of separating them into forums related to each.  I'm sure this is common also.  We've been "trained" by web-based customer service pages to rant about all things, and do so in 100 words or less.

I literally just joined this community, and the things noticed were the goofy kindergarten avatars.

1. Their limited choices
  2. No choice not to have one (why is having one critical and mandatory anyway?)
  3. No choice or instructions for uploading our own image (though it is obvious others have done so)

Others have animated avatars, one is a waving flag - how cool is that!

I also noticed the publcation of my email address and was taken aback.  I went back in and changed it to an alternative address I use to track who is selling my address or using it beyond intent (like signing up for things like this and then suddenly getting tons of junk - I'll know who misused it).

Nowhere did I see an alternative for privacy.

Why publish the email anyway?  Isn't the point of th ecommunity tobe a forum for all?  If people are privately exchanging ideas, then the forum does not benefit.  If people are communicating about things other than the forum, theyshould join social networks made for that.

Either case, GE's grievances were not addressed, which is also typical of customer service. 

An example is the myriad complaints in multiple venues about the battery consumption of Droid devices - the causes of which are expressed by customers and yet service provider push back - quite literally saying "NO!" to the customer.

1. The goofy mandatory apps very few want or need but aren't allowed to remove,
  2. the junkware which actively obstructs beneficial use of the Droid, etc.
  3. Being offered "solutions" which propose our uploading yet more garbage to only turn off the garbage we can't take out.
  4. As though to say "We care more about the companies that pay us to include their junk in our devices than how they inconvenience you or how their junk actually diminishes the benefit of having the devices in the first place". 

If customer service were listening, they would not tell us to install yet more apps to tame the junkware - and further slow our systems and drain our batteries.  If customer service were listening, they would provide a means to remove whatever apps came with our units that we don't want. 

I held off on buying a Droid because everyone I know complains about them - especially battery consumption.  Duh!  Listen to the customers and NOT the junkware pushers!

I don't like being pushed around, and whoever loaded the junkware, and made it impossible for me to easily remove, is simply telling me that catering to junkware companies is more important to them than serivng me.  I'm off task.  Sorry.

What GE said about the goofy pictures, and the email posting, should be addressed by customer service immediately by changing the user interface to allow plain English, easy to use ways to post or not post any acceptable image we want as our avatar, and post or not post an email address.

Email GE and say "Thank you for complaining.  We're fixing it right now!"  "OH, and what happened with your equipment that got you mad?"  "We can't give you brand new equipment until your New Every Two, but we'll give you a heck of a discount on a replacement."  "Did we solve all of your concerns?"

Just saying YES and responding to customers is the one thing that Verizon shines at in comparison to their competitors, and why we all pay way-crazy more for service with them than their competition - because of the SERVICE.

I've never, ever had a bad customer service experience with Verizon in the decade-plus we've had them.  Sure, they might say no, or I disagree with their response, but never have I felt victimized.  I've had most competitors stuff through employers over the years and I've never has a good customer service experience with any of them.  Two biggees in particular always made me feel victimized.

Conclusion:

Now tell us how to easily change the avatar and hide email addresses - and then go change the user interface.

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

planplanplanact wrote:

Getting Even (GE) is typical of customers, they often don't know what they don't know (unconsciously ignorant).  And typical of respondents, we often don't listen to what they are really saying, but respond anyway.

The posted rant combines many grievances instead of separating them into forums related to each.  I'm sure this is common also.  We've been "trained" by web-based customer service pages to rant about all things, and do so in 100 words or less.

I literally just joined this community, and the things noticed were the goofy kindergarten avatars.

1. Their limited choices
  3. No choice or instructions for uploading our own image (though it is obvious others have done so) Those who can change their Avatar are VZW Employees. I have already looked into that!

Others have animated avatars, one is a waving flag - how cool is that!

I also noticed the publcation of my email address and was taken aback.  I went back in and changed it to an alternative address I use to track who is selling my address or using it beyond intent (like signing up for things like this and then suddenly getting tons of junk - I'll know who misused it).

Nowhere did I see an alternative for privacy.

Why publish the email anyway?  Isn't the point of th ecommunity tobe a forum for all?  If people are privately exchanging ideas, then the forum does not benefit.  If people are communicating about things other than the forum, theyshould join social networks made for that.

Either case, GE's grievances were not addressed, which is also typical of customer service. This is a customer to customer site. There are a few employees who roam around, but 99% of all posts and replies are from customers. Not employees.

An example is the myriad complaints in multiple venues about the battery consumption of Droid devices - the causes of which are expressed by customers and yet service provider push back - quite literally saying "NO!" to the customer.

1. The goofy mandatory apps very few want or need but aren't allowed to remove,
  2. the junkware which actively obstructs beneficial use of the Droid, etc.
  3. Being offered "solutions" which propose our uploading yet more garbage to only turn off the garbage we can't take out.
  4. As though to say "We care more about the companies that pay us to include their junk in our devices than how they inconvenience you or how their junk actually diminishes the benefit of having the devices in the first place". 

If customer service were listening, they would not tell us to install yet more apps to tame the junkware - and further slow our systems and drain our batteries.  If customer service were listening, they would provide a means to remove whatever apps came with our units that we don't want. 

I held off on buying a Droid because everyone I know complains about them - especially battery consumption.  Duh!  Listen to the customers and NOT the junkware pushers!

I don't like being pushed around, and whoever loaded the junkware, and made it impossible for me to easily remove, is simply telling me that catering to junkware companies is more important to them than serivng me.  I'm off task.  Sorry.

What GE said about the goofy pictures, and the email posting, should be addressed by customer service immediately by changing the user interface to allow plain English, easy to use ways to post or not post any acceptable image we want as our avatar, and post or not post an email address.

Email GE and say "Thank you for complaining.  We're fixing it right now!"  "OH, and what happened with your equipment that got you mad?"  "We can't give you brand new equipment until your New Every Two, but we'll give you a heck of a discount on a replacement."  "Did we solve all of your concerns?"

Just saying YES and responding to customers is the one thing that Verizon shines at in comparison to their competitors, and why we all pay way-crazy more for service with them than their competition - because of the SERVICE.

I've never, ever had a bad customer service experience with Verizon in the decade-plus we've had them.  Sure, they might say no, or I disagree with their response, but never have I felt victimized.  I've had most competitors stuff through employers over the years and I've never has a good customer service experience with any of them.  Two biggees in particular always made me feel victimized.

Conclusion:

Now tell us how to easily change the avatar and hide email addresses - and then go change the user interface. As for your email address being public, it is easy to fix. Click on your username, near the top left of the screen. Click on the preferences Tab, and then Privacy. There is an option on who if ANY can see your email address. You will still see your email address listed in your profile, but only YOU will see it.

0 Likes
planplanplanact

Thanks.

COmments about Customer Service weren't assuming that they were actually reading and responding, but more of hope that if enough people expressed the same complaints, then the service provider might actually improve the service.

Now thinking of this, I realize that the service provider does not care if we buy or enjoy Droids or they would have implemented the increadably easy solution to the battery woes all complain of - and allowed us to eliminate the junk consuming power.

Either case. I think forums like this are Democracy in action and that's cool.  Customers/consumers working collectively to solve probles that the service provider apparently will not - especially if they aren't reading the stuff.

Merry Christmas.  Seriously.  Let's hope for a much better year 2011.

0 Likes
Kh-Phil

Off topic discussions removed.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

planplanplanact wrote:

1. Their limited choices
  3. No choice or instructions for uploading our own image (though it is obvious others have done so)  The ability to use the animated avatars, and to upload your own avatar is based on community ranking, which is based on number of posts, relevance and helpfulness of posts, and other factors that are determined by the mods and admins. (Ranking information

Others have animated avatars, one is a waving flag - how cool is that!  See above

I also noticed the publcation of my email address and was taken aback. ... Nowhere did I see an alternative for privacy....  On the main forum screen once you are logged in, go to My Settings >> Preferences tab >> Privacy link.  You can set what information (if any) is shown publicly, and you can choose to show your email address to "Friends only", which means those you have specifically designated as friends.  The email will show up when YOU view your profile, but will not be shown publicly unless you choose to have it so.  The same applies to any/all information on your profile.

Conclusion:

Now tell us how to easily change the avatar and hide email addresses - and then go change the user interface.

Hope this answers some of your questions and concerns - I have found this community/forum to be one of the better moderated and genuinely useful ones - that's why I've stuck around for so long.  The strict rules on language and "tone" of posts drive some folks away, but those are generally the ones that get "censored" in the first place. 

For people seeking information, answers to their questions and concerns about their accounts and service, this is a good place.  For people just wanting to vent and complain, it may not be as good a fit, and there are other places better suited for that.  This is primarily a customer to customer support board - NOT the Verizon corporate complaint office.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
21stNow

Thanks for posting this.  I had not even checked that area of my profile.  Other boards that I visit that are powered by Lithium have the default to show your email address to no one.  I am surprised that VZW has the default set to show all.  My suggestion is to change the default to show no one, and let the user opt in to share his/her email address.

0 Likes
budone
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

21stNow wrote:

Thanks for posting this.  I had not even checked that area of my profile.  Other boards that I visit that are powered by Lithium have the default to show your email address to no one.  I am surprised that VZW has the default set to show all.  My suggestion is to change the default to show no one, and let the user opt in to share his/her email address.

The default is the address is shown to no one.

0 Likes