2TB on 7216?
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

Can anyone confirm or deny if a 2TB drive will work with a 7216?  Most threads here and at DSL Reports are from people using 7232s, and unfortunately they seem to not exist in my area.  The guy at the Verizon store where I grabbed a 7216 today said there is a 1TB limit, but I've seen no mention of a 1TB limit on any message boards.  So what is the verdict from the field?

I have an extra 2TB WD Caviar Green drive that will do 3GB/s and I would just need to grab an eSATA enclosure for it.  Any reason this won't work as my "main" multi-room DVR storage?  According to DSL Reports, it seemed like the 3GB/s was necessary for multi-stream recording and that was the biggest spec to look for.  I know this isn't the best solution (a true A/V drive would be), but seeing I picked this up cheap a couple months back and even a 1TB A/V drive costs about twice what I paid for this one right now, I'd like to be able to expand my 7216 in the mean time.  Maybe when I get my hands on a 7232, drive prices will have come back to Earth.  I've read threads where people are using "Green" drives successfully, but it seemed like most were on 7232s.  Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Re: 2TB on 7216?
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

I have a WD 1.5 TB Cav Green 3 Gb/s that's working great on a 7216!

See my post here.

I have seen reports that 2 TB drives will work.  Let us know if you get it to work!

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Re: 2TB on 7216?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

In addition to the 3 GB/s there is another specification that is important.  That is the actual disc sustained throughput (not just the raw data rate).  IIR the requirement there is a minimum of 100 MB/s which most of the drives will meet.  Also if the drive has a sleep / power saving mode it can be a problem.

0 Likes