5.1 Surround Sound through Samsung Home Theater via HDMI?
pman5551
Enthusiast - Level 1

Home Theater spec:  Samsung HT-C6600

Following the advice of my new Home Theater users' manual, I connected my FIOS HD STB the following way, using HDMI cables throughout:

HD STB > Home Theater HDMI input > TV HDMI input

The home theater has a bluray player built-in and the 5.1surround sounds great coming from the bluray.

However, when I watch TV, the sound only seems to be coming from the front speaker. 

The settings on FIOS say that its giving surround sound.

Any advice on what could be going wrong?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5.1 Surround Sound through Samsung Home Theater via HDMI?
jonesyg27
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems basic, but are the channels you are watching broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1? Not all of them do, and some only do it some of the time. My receiver can be set to automatically select Pro Logic II or DTS-NEO, which matrix stereo sound to 5.1, if the channel is not producing 5.1. I don't know if your system can do that.

View solution in original post

pman5551
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  I just learned that the HDMI input that I used on my TV might not have been utilizing ARC.

Do you think if I changed HDMI inputs on my TV to one that uses ARC, that might make a difference?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

No.  Arc is to allow TV's, and receivers that support it, to support

•  sending signals from the TV's tuners to the sound system when it is used
  •  video and sound from the sound system, when others sources connected to sound system are used 
0 Likes
pman5551
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK, thanks for the reply.

Do you know what might be causing the issue in my OP?

0 Likes
jonesyg27
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems basic, but are the channels you are watching broadcasting in Dolby Digital 5.1? Not all of them do, and some only do it some of the time. My receiver can be set to automatically select Pro Logic II or DTS-NEO, which matrix stereo sound to 5.1, if the channel is not producing 5.1. I don't know if your system can do that.

pman5551
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, I realized this solution at work.  Thats what it was.

Thanks for the reply though.

0 Likes