Okay, I am adding a new STB for a new TV. Currently the wiring looks like this:

ONT

|

[1-3 Split]

|     |     |

|     |    HD DVR

|    SD Box

Actiontec

Simple, and works just fine. I have the Actiontec connected to the -3.5db port on the main splitter, the two STBs are on -7db. All three runs are brand new RG6 with PPC connectors. The two to the STBs were done by a Verizon tech at the time of install, and I did the one to the router. The splitter was provided by Verizon.

I would like to change it to:

ONT

|

[1-3 Split]

|     |     |

|     |    HD DVR

|    SD Box

|

[1-2 Split]

|     |

|    HD Box

|

Actiontec

Then all four devices should get -7db off the ONT and everything should work fine, right? When I plug it in like this, the actiontec works just fine, internet is fine and the two old STBs work just fine. They show up in the Actiontec's status page. The problem is, I can't get the new STB to connect no matter what I do. Offhand, one would think it is a bad splitter, though it is a PDI Verizon spec one, but I have also tried a second splitter (which worked with FIOS at an old location), with the same results. I've also tried moving the SD Box down to where the new HD Box is going, and it doesnt work either.

Is there something inherently wrong with this wiring methodology?

Thanks,

-Dan

0 Likes
Re: Adding STB -- wiring problem?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

well the infrastructure design is fine. Nothing wrong with that. Its the way Verizon would do it if they came out to do the install.

Now if you've moved a known working box down here and it doesnt work, then my first reaction would be the same as yours, bad or incompatible splitter. Now if it is indeed a Verizon compatible splitter and you've even swapped it out with another splitter and your having the same issue, then there is only two possibilities that I can think of.

1. Bad coax from splitter to box. (Needs to be a RG6 coax)

2. Signal level is dropping too much on the line. may need a booster.

But if the cable up to the second splitter is good, the router connection is good, and the box is good (your other stb that you moved down here), only leaves the splitter, coax, or signal level.

0 Likes
Re: Adding STB -- wiring problem?
neotechpc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I re-wired it half a dozen ways, but eventually got it working.

I think the problem was just in getting the new box activated. I activated it when plugged into the ONT more directly, and now it is working with the original wiring strategy.

The MOCA diagnostics screen on the router is showing >200mbps connectivity to all devices.

Thanks for the gut-check!

0 Likes