All channels go 8801 on 2 of 6 boxes each night between 10 and 11 pm
KDodds

Okay, I had FiOS installed on Saturday, 15 Jan 2011.  On Saturday night, around 11pm, two boxes went 8801 on all channels with a 0 SNR.  Took all steps (automated through live tech) with no resolution.  They sent a tech out on Sunday.  When the tech arrived at noon, both STBs just started working.  He checked and replace one splitter and one end.  The SNR had also "spontaneously" corrected (before hardware replacement) to over 35.  Again, around 10:30/11 the same two boxes went out.  Went through the whole support thing (again) and they sent out a tech for today, Monday.  Again, both boxes had spontaneously corrected.  He replaced the ONT and replaced a third (unrelated) STB that was pixellating.  Well, tonight again, a little after 10, maybe, the same two boxes went 8801 again.  The other 4 boxes in the house are fine.  I'm thinking there's something going on on Verizon's end at this time that's causing them to go out, right?  I mean, a line doesn't spontaneously go from over 35 SNR to 0 the same time every night, only to spontaneously correct ~12 hours later, right?  Could it be updates failing?  Reused boxes from an illegal or banned or cut-off prior install?  Anything like that?  Something else?  I can't see this as a signal problem.  Especially considering that the same line has been in use for like 6 years, no problems, with cable.

0 Likes
Re: All channels go 8801 on 2 of 6 boxes each night between 10 and 11 pm
KDodds

Nobody has any clue?  FWIW, both TVs are working again, SNR over 35 from 0 this am with nothing changed.  Tech coming tomorrow again since we fully expect a repeat performance again tonight.  Nobody has any clue what he can look for?  Nobody knows box shut off procedure and whether or not my reused boxes might be in a database somewhere? 

0 Likes
KDodds

Oh yes, again, just now, 9:52pm Eastern.  Wonderful. 

0 Likes
KDodds

...boxes swapped out today.  And?  Yep, 9:53pm, like clockwork, both boxes shut down.

Verizon tech supp, literally, said they have absolutely no clue what's going on, not the level 1 field tech and not the level 2 tech.  So, okay, I ask what goes on at 10pm and nobody can tell me anything.  Nobody knows ANYTHING about the internal workings at Verizon?  Not one Verizon professional monitoring these forums can offer ANY help or suggestions?  I mean, I can't believe this is the first time in the history of cable television that this has happened.  Am I getting frustrated?  Oh, you betcha. 

To reiterate:  New install, Saturday, 1/15/11.  Saturday night between 10 and 11 two boxes went to 8801 on all channels and SNR went to 0.  About 10am, both boxes went back to 35 and came back into service.  Tech came out on Sunday, tested the lines, replaced one end and a splitter and left.  Sunday night, the same two boxes offered a repeat performance, coming back Monday at about the same time.  Tech came out on Monday, tested the line and replaced the ONT.  Monday night, same thing, Tuesday morning, same thing.  We couldn't be home on Tuesday so scheduled a tech for today, Wednesday.  In between, on Tuesday night both boxes did the same thing and came back this morning PRECISELY 12 hours later.  The tech replaced these boxes today and, whoa, no, not again, yep, two DIFFERENT boxes, both stop working at precisely 9:53pm.  The tech said he would call tomorrow morning at 7:30am.  There's no pixellation, no sound problems, nothing at all "off" happening on these two STBs, they just flatten to a 0 SNR and return to 35 SNR 12 hours later.  OOB SNR, BTW, never budges from 20 the whole time.

0 Likes
KDodds

AHA!  Too much coincidence for this not to be a timed event, right?  If you want something done, though... you know what they say...

So I went outside to check the booster on this line.  Still has power.  So I trace the line, and it outputs to a ground only.  Now, I'm no installer, but a booster plugged into nothing but ground can't do much right?  I'd mentioned this to two techs and they kind of just shrugged it off.  But the install tech TOLD me he installed a booster.  SO, if not outside, then where?  At the end of maybe 50 or 60 feet of run, in a closet with no power.  He drilled through the closet wall to get to the only nearest outlet.  Problem is, this outlet CLEARLY is a power strip, CLEARLY plugged into a timer for a fish tank.  Sigh.  Guess the tech tomorrow will be moving that booster, eh?

0 Likes
Soundjudgment

*GASP!*  You,,, you turn your fish off at 10pm every night??

0 Likes