BET in HD
poppa42

I'm a long time customer and have plans for TV, Internet and cell phone with Verizon.  As a very loyal customer I hope my message is heard.  I'm extremely disappointed that the BET channel in High Definition is not offered.  I have noticed that direct TV has had this channel for well over a year.  So what is the issue?  There is no logical reason except that Verizon feels adding this channel is not a profitable proposition because it represents black programming.  I'm going to write anyone and everyone in the corporate office to express my anger.  But more than writing, I'm going to drop Verizon and take hefty payment elsewhere.  

I pay Verizon 400 dollars a month in total for all three plans.  The Fios programming is just not worth the price. If Verizon really wants to attract a wide diverse customer base then the programming should reflect it.  I refuse to to continue paying for a service that shows such little respect for it's diverse customer base.

0 Likes
Re: BET in HD
matcarl
Master - Level 1

Verizon has added very little HD programming this year. They are upgrading their equipment to handle more channels. They are missing several HD's that people want.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@poppa42 wrote:

I'm a long time customer and have plans for TV, Internet and cell phone with Verizon.  As a very loyal customer I hope my message is heard.  I'm extremely disappointed that the BET channel in High Definition is not offered.  I have noticed that direct TV has had this channel for well over a year.  So what is the issue?  There is no logical reason except that Verizon feels adding this channel is not a profitable proposition because it represents black programming.  I'm going to write anyone and everyone in the corporate office to express my anger.  But more than writing, I'm going to drop Verizon and take hefty payment elsewhere.  

I pay Verizon 400 dollars a month in total for all three plans.  The Fios programming is just not worth the price. If Verizon really wants to attract a wide diverse customer base then the programming should reflect it.  I refuse to to continue paying for a service that shows such little respect for it's diverse customer base.

Verizons choice has nothing to do with racial decisions. When Verizon last added a lot of HD channels, BET simply was not available in HD. Since BET became available in HD Verizon has not added it becasue they have not had room to do so. They already announced that they are working on upgrading the systems to be able to carry more HD channels and once they are able to add HD channels, I'm sure that BET is one of the channels on the short list.

Your anger is misplaced and completely unreasonable. Before poping off, try doing a little research first. Verizon carrys many very diverse channels. They have channels that cater to Arabic, Armenian, Balkan, Brazilian, Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Asian, Asian-Punjabi, Vietnamese, Spanish, they do carry BET, Starz in Black, they have bollywood programming and many others. And when possible they add those same programming in HD as HD bandwidth becomes available. 

prisaz
Legend

I could say the same about Peruvians and SurPeru. But it just would not be true. I have asked for that channel for my Peruvian wife, but don't go saying it is because it is a Peruvian channel. It is a shame people have feelings like this. For all I know it is because DTV has had exclusive rights to that channel, not because it is a Peruvian channel. That one is only in SD. These decisions are not based on any racial reasons. It is really sad that people have feelings like this which are not justified!

0 Likes
ScottM
Enthusiast - Level 3

Matcarl said, “They are upgrading their equipment to handle more channels”.  What upgrades are being done to provide more HDs?  Any idea when it will be done? 

When I first subscribed to FiOS several years ago I was non-HD and my favorite movie channel was probably StarzCinema. 
It offered flicks nobody else had including great foreign films.  I also liked some of the quirky movies on ShoNext.  Since I’ve gone HD I no longer watch these channels and I assumed they were not available in HD. I subscribe to every premium and movie channel offered by Verizon.  At a relatives’ house for thanksgiving dinner I saw DirectTV and was shocked at the number of HD channels they offer since the last time I saw it.  There was StarzCinema-HD, ShoNext-HD, and many more. They seem to get every premium/movie channel available in HD.  I would prefer this over getting the entire list of HBO West coast feeds here in the east.  Still angry for what I pay every month, my HD channel count has dropped this year while they’ve not added a single premium/movie channel to replace what they took.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

The upgrades will hopefully be done in the first half of 2011

0 Likes
Redshorty3

I too am HIGHLY disappointed in the fact that Verizon doesn't carry BET in HD. I've been wondering for months why BET doesn't have a High Def station, when I realized by visiting my parent's house (they have cablevision) that BET in fact does have a High Def station. As much as I rave about Fios, I'm in complete shock and am beyond disappointed. It's not as though BET is a new station, so I don't see why it hasn't yet been incorporated into the HD programming. I need this change to happen ASAP because I pay Verizon too much money each month to not have a full HD channel lineup. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Redshorty3 wrote:

I too am HIGHLY disappointed in the fact that Verizon doesn't carry BET in HD. I've been wondering for months why BET doesn't have a High Def station, when I realized by visiting my parent's house (they have cablevision) that BET in fact does have a High Def station. As much as I rave about Fios, I'm in complete shock and am beyond disappointed. It's not as though BET is a new station, so I don't see why it hasn't yet been incorporated into the HD programming. I need this change to happen ASAP because I pay Verizon too much money each month to not have a full HD channel lineup. 

To Quote a previous post.

"Verizon has added very little HD programming this year. They are upgrading their equipment to handle more channels. They are missing several HD's that people want."

I too am sure this is one on the short list. Once there is room it should show up. So hopefully you will not be disappointed once this happens. Once channels are added it is not easy to just drop them. So it is not like Verizon can say well this one is available so we should replace x with this new channel. It has to do with carriage agreements and many other items.

0 Likes