Best way to cable FIOS TV to existing ONT and router
ron511
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have FIOS double play Internet and phone.  The ONT is in the basement with coax cable going upstairs to the FIOS router (in my office). The ethernet connections run from the router to my various PCs.

I plan to add FIOS tv to get the Triple Play savings for 24 months.  I currently have Dish Network going to 2 satellite boxes downstairs.    I plan to purchase RG-6 Quad shielded Coax and run directly from TV #1 to the ONT and from TV#2 to the ONT.   

1.  Is this cabling plan OK?

2.  Is it resaonable to expect that the service tech will add a 3 way splittter at the ONT and terminate the coax connections without charging me?    There is no installation charge when I sign up for Triple Play on the internet.

Thanks

Ron

0 Likes
Re: Best way to cable FIOS TV to existing ONT and router
prisaz
Legend

@ron51 wrote:

I currently have FIOS double play Internet and phone.  The ONT is in the basement with coax cable going upstairs to the FIOS router (in my office). The ethernet connections run from the router to my various PCs.

I plan to add FIOS tv to get the Triple Play savings for 24 months.  I currently have Dish Network going to 2 satellite boxes downstairs.    I plan to purchase RG-6 Quad shielded Coax and run directly from TV #1 to the ONT and from TV#2 to the ONT.   

1.  Is this cabling plan OK?

2.  Is it resaonable to expect that the service tech will add a 3 way splittter at the ONT and terminate the coax connections without charging me?    There is no installation charge when I sign up for Triple Play on the internet.

Thanks

Ron

Yes, but be sure you come off of your ONT with a good RG-6 cable to a bidirectional cable splitter, then to your router and the two new boxes. If a tech is coming, they will provide a splitter, and the short run to your splitter. If you have cable, I am sure they would be happy to put connectors on it for you. I had 99% of my work done, and the tech left with a big smile. They are usually very good, but get loads of installs or calls scheduled daily, in my area.

If you are getting rid of your satellite TV, that cable should be RG-6 and could be used. Though many prefer to keep the old with the new for a while.

You can actually do a self install, but like you said, for first time FiOS TV customers, I believe they want it to be right, so you get the best performance.

I actually have one of the bidirectional splitters from RadioShack, and their splitter. I run through two splitter for my system, and then a third splitter to receive only cable card devices. My system is huge though.

They should ship one to you if you only have Internet straight from your ONT, and it is on coax. But it may only be a two output splitter, but should be four since you have Internet and are adding two TVs.

(MOCA) Media Over Coax Alliance with Verizon uses 1150MHz for the STBs, and 1100MHz I believe for the Ethernet portion.

I hope you Enjoy. They won me over from DTV years ago.