Cisco chs 435hdc dvr volume not changeable
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just signed up for FIOS tv a few days ago. My Cisco dvr is connected to a Panasonic receiver with an optical cable. When I press the volume up or down on the FIOS remote a scroll bar appears in the upper right corner of the tv screen but the audio volume does not change. At 0(zero) on the scroll bar there is no sound. At 1 the sound is full volume. At 30 the volume is about the same. The mute button works fine. Any help would be appreciated. I believe I have 1.9.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cisco chs 435hdc dvr volume not changeable
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I think I understand this now. This is not a DVR issue.

The analog audio stream has volume information. The digital audio stream does not have volume information. That's why the DVR can control the former and not the latter.

If you are using a surround sound receiver and want to use one remote for your system you will need to get the 4 button remote from Verizon or get a third party remote. For some reason Verizon will give you the two button remote when you actually need the 4 button remote.

I dug up an old programmable remote I had laying around and now can use one remote for everything.

View solution in original post

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If your remote Verizon remote only has 2 buttons across the top (STB and TV), Then that remote can not control the audio receiver. If your remote has 4 buttons across the top (DVD, aux, TV, STB) then it can be programmed to wotk different devices. To program the AUX button at the top of the remote to control sound on your receiver, please follow thses instructions:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Remote+Controls/SetUp/QuestionsOne/128599.htm

If you run into problems, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
Br-ssRat

Did you ever resolve this problem? The answer you were given was totally irrelevant. I am having the same problem - I can't modulate the volume using the STB. I am connecting from the STB to my TV via HDMI, are you connecting the same way?

0 Likes
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, the problem was not resolved.

I found if I connect the STB to the receiver with stereo cables (RCA red and white) I can adjust the volume output with the remote. Of course then the sound is stereo not 5.1. If I connect the STB to the receiver with digital coax or optical the volume cannot be controlled with the remote. My TV does not have an HDMI input so I have not tried that.

Currently, my STB is connected to the receiver with stereo cables and digital coax. If I want to hear 5.1 I need to switch the input on my receiver to digital coax. Most of the time I just listen in stereo.

Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
ff31

I am having the same problem.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/No-variable-audio-output-for-Cisco-CHS-435...

One SHOULD be able to adjust the output volume of the STB with the remote, but it doesn't seem to be working properly. (Like you, STB volume 0 produces no sound, and 1-30 produces the same volume, not variable.)

0 Likes
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

Welcome to the club ff3. Oddly, if you use stereo cables you can control the volume with the STB. Also the mute button on the remote works with any cable connection (stereo, digital coax and optical). I suspect this is a software issue. I'm surprised more folks have not complained about this.

0 Likes
ff31

Thanks, Andy.  It's nice to know that there is a workaround for the variable volume/mute issue.  Agree, sounds like an analog vs. digital control issue that would hopefully be software related.  I just hope Verizon realizes that this is not full functionality; they should acknowledge and fix this.

0 Likes
tsetem
Enthusiast - Level 1

Adding another complaint.  Just got Fios with a 2 button remote & home theater.  I am using HDMI pass through from STB to TV, and same thing with the volume.  0 is off, 1-30 is just on. 

Hope it's just a SW fix.

0 Likes
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I think I understand this now. This is not a DVR issue.

The analog audio stream has volume information. The digital audio stream does not have volume information. That's why the DVR can control the former and not the latter.

If you are using a surround sound receiver and want to use one remote for your system you will need to get the 4 button remote from Verizon or get a third party remote. For some reason Verizon will give you the two button remote when you actually need the 4 button remote.

I dug up an old programmable remote I had laying around and now can use one remote for everything.