Connecting FIOS DVR to DVD Recorder
msualumni33

There are lots of messages here on the topic above, but I have a nagging questions:

1) I have my Verizon STB connected ot the TV through an HDMI cable. Why is it that I cannot *directly* connect the

tv to my DVD recorder and record programs that are playing on my tv screen (things recorded on DVR)? Why do I have to connect the inputs of my DVD recorder to the STB itself?

and

2) Can I still keep the HDMI input to my TV *AND* additionally connect outputs from the STB to my DVD Recorder? My DVD Recorder does not have HDMI connections.

Thanks so much,

Robyn

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting FIOS DVR to DVD Recorder
ract
Contributor - Level 1

I am no expert on these matters but have some experience gained over the years. With regard to:

Item 1 -- I think most modern TVs have no output connections. All connections to the TV are designed to receive a signal and display it. If this is true of yours, you cannot record from the TV screen.

Item 2 -- Unless your STB is different from mine, it has several output connections and any that are currently unused could be connected to any recording device. However, my FIOS STB is not a recorder; it can only be used for watching TV (mainly used for VOD, since I use TiVos for recording) and I have never connected two of the outputs to separate devices.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ract
Contributor - Level 1

I am no expert on these matters but have some experience gained over the years. With regard to:

Item 1 -- I think most modern TVs have no output connections. All connections to the TV are designed to receive a signal and display it. If this is true of yours, you cannot record from the TV screen.

Item 2 -- Unless your STB is different from mine, it has several output connections and any that are currently unused could be connected to any recording device. However, my FIOS STB is not a recorder; it can only be used for watching TV (mainly used for VOD, since I use TiVos for recording) and I have never connected two of the outputs to separate devices.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your TV has an output, then certainly you can connect DVD recorder to it.

I have a DVD recorder and connect it to mty DVR (both previous and Quantum) and use it to record shows I want to save.

0 Likes
msualumni33

Thank you very much for explaining that! That never occurred to me. Upon consulting my manual, my tv only has Audio outputs.

I think this is all I need to get up and running. I appreciate it greatly.

Robyn

0 Likes
msualumni33

Thank you also for response--I will make the connections tomorrow and see what happens. You all are a smart bunch;)

Robyn

0 Likes