Connecting the TV One Mini to an AP
McFingers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the new FiOS One service. My quantum router is located center of the house but the Wi-Fi signal to the family room is poor.

I bought a TP-Link Wi-Fi extender, hard-wired to the Quantum router, and put the Wi-Fi extender in AP mode. 

TV and Xbox can connect to the new wireless AP perfectly, but the FiOS TV One mini refuses to connect to it and will only want to connect directly with the quantum router. DHCP and NAT are turned off in the AP, so all devices are on the same network and can communicate. This has been tested and proven.

Is there a way to tell the TV one mini to connect with the AP? Or am I going to have to either rent a Wi-Fi extender for Verizon or hardwire it in via coax/Ethernet.

I would rather not have to hard wire it since there's no access to the walls or the floor. It would have to be a conduit run outside along the house, its just major work to do.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting the TV One Mini to an AP
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah hopefully Verizon will come out with an update to manually connect the minis. Unfortunately until then you will either have to run the wire or get a Verizon extender. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will probably have to rent a Verizon extender. The issue is the mini boxes connect to a hidden SSID and password that is built into the FiOS router and extenders. 

Just a thought but the ethernet that you have going to the AP...can you connect that to a switch and run the mini off of ethernet?

McFingers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I could set it up any way I would like.

But the layout isn't conducive to proper hardwiring.

The AP + cat6 jack is on the wall that connects to the basement, and the mini+TV is on the opposite wall.

It would require running a cable outside of my basement, along the perimeter of the family room, and back through the wall near the mini.

At that point I would just do conduit and run 3 cat6 cables and hardwire everything. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah hopefully Verizon will come out with an update to manually connect the minis. Unfortunately until then you will either have to run the wire or get a Verizon extender. 

noogless

You could get a power plug Ethernet adapter. Plug it into a wall out let, run an Ethernet cable to it, then plug the other power plug adapter to a wall plug near the family room TV and run the Ethernet cable from the adapter to the mini. I wish I could find mine. 

0 Likes