DVR Problem w/QIP7232P2 DVR Operation; HOW Long will I have to wait for 1.9.1?
Smokeater55

THE SHORT PROBLEM:

1) DVR records only a few moments of pre-scheduled events then the recording stops with only 10 to 30 seconds stored content and this is reported in the on screen detail.

2) DVR records a full 1 hour show however, after 20 or so minuets of playback, use of the fast forward, skip (to get around a commercial) or pause DVR functions will cause the playback to jump to the end and you can't see the rest of the story.  One must start the show over again, view stuff you have seen before to get to where the error happen.  If you fast forward too close to the point of the error, you will get dumped out of the show all over again.  Once you get close you just have to watch commercials and what you have seen before and then not use any DVR functions in order to watch the rest of the show.

3) DVR records a full 1 hour show, you fast forward to a time that is say 50% into the show, the progress bar will move forward like normal to show you get close to the point of you stopped watching the show before (to help solve problem #2 above) BUT, if you go too far, the progress bar will jump back to the start of the show and you may be dumped out of the program or it may continue to move forward.  However the operation of the progress bar is not right.

This would render the DVR less then useful.  Verizon has replaced my STB and talked me through the reset of AC power operation that is the normal fix for most STB issues.  I'm told this will require a software upgrade from 1.9 to 1.9.1.  OK, GET IT DONE and CREDIT USERS OF DVRs THE FEE PAID FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT WORKING.

THE LONG STORY WITH DETAILS:

All seemed to be well with the unit for a few months and the upgrade to the new 1.9 software looked like it went off without a hitch.

But.....Starting on around 12/17/11 I noticed that my DVR was recording only about 10 to 30 seconds of programming during scheduled events.  Sometimes it would attempt to record the same event one or two times, each only lasting a few moments.  I called Verizon customer service I think on 12/20/11 and they asked me to pull the 120 volt power and then re-apply power.  This helped the problem but, remote testing seemed to show an issue and the customer rep decided a replacement unit was needed and Order No. MDDQ08V49U was created and another set-top box was shipped to me.

It is too bad that the technology has been developed to allow the external storage of digital content however, one can't back the 200 plus hours of video one may have stored on a set-top box and restore it on a new unit.  It is also not possible to reproduce the vast extent of scheduling of events.  No, it seems when you change out a set top box, all the programming is gone and you have to spend an afternoon coping down the schedule from the Series Manager and then re-enter all new events by making new recording events; a very time consuming operation.

So it is frustrating once after this afternoon is wasted reprogramming a new set-top is all done with the new set-top box installed, I find that on 1/5/12 when viewing recorded programming that should be one hour long, I only seem to get 22 minutes of playback.  I try to look at this in detail and see that the first 22 minutes indeed play back in a normal manor.  One is able to use the jump forward mode to skip over a commercial and all is good.  If after 22 minutes you don't do anything, playback will continue to the end of the 1 hour.  BUT, if after the first 22 minutes you try the skip or pause function, the program will jump to the end screen where you are given the option to: Program Options Page were you can select Play, Save until I delete, or Delete.

On 1/4/12 I called Tech Support and asked what to do about this 2nd box having yet another DVR problem.  Once again I was asked to cycle the 120 volt AC power and disconnect and reconnect the coax "because electricity can build up in the set-top box".  (I thought that was a cute reason).  I asked the Customer Service rep if this was a Tier 2 or Tier 3 Troubleshooting method and she told me she was not authorized to tell me. 

1/5/12 a Manager calls me back to follow up on a survey from the December service call and after seeing that I had a trouble ticket on 1/4 to see what is going on. He attempts to talk me into getting the on screen diagnostic screen to come up (press a mix of power and OK) but that just does not work like the old set-top box. We review the problem and he is not sure what else to do then send a Tech to the house to review the problems.  He did tell me the STB I had in December WAS a known bad number; something about an issue with ribbon cable fault going to the hard drive.  Well OK, but it seems ODD that the two like problems seem to happen to a known bad box and now to a new box that is not in the "bad" lot of numbers.  This new STB also had been running 1.9 like the old STB for some number of weeks/months without issue then BANG, a problem pops up!  It seems like this is a deeper problem but I trust with all the fact Verizon can find the right answer.

1/6/12 Aaron Phelps, Cable Splicing Technician comes to look at the problem. Nice guy!  I show him the two recorded shows that have the problem.  He can't get the on-screen diagnostic up but we use the test via the Main Menu and all readings seem OK.  He also tests signals via an external meter with good results. 

At last, he calls Tier 2 Tech support and I'm told by him that it seems some bug is in ver 1.9 and we will have to wait a month for a 1.9.1 to come out that should address a memory issue in the DVR.  I don't know is this is the real story but Aaron tells me the ONLY fix they have is to swap out STB and he has no other 7232 units so... I'd have to go back to a smaller hard-drive or wait a month to see what happens.

To say again, it is a problem when the only answer in practice is to reboot the STB or replace it and this does not solve the problem.  The field Techs don't know about a software bug less they call tier 2 support.  Also, as it is so common to just replace the STB, the process may take only a moment in physical action to swap wires HOWEVER, it is an afternoon to get programming done so a new DVR is recording all the shows a Customer has established; on top of the time talking to phone Tech support and waiting for someone to show up to the home, that is a considerable investment in Consumer time.  If you can't back up the content with the local drive due to copyright issues how about a cloud approach? I'd encourage a known bug to be resolved quickly and perhaps solve the manor that a STB is backed-up and replaced.

I learn on 1/6/12 my friend had like problems:

xxxxxx address blocked

Claire had the added problem that a pre set event she set to record change by an hour.  I've not seen this but, I see in the Forum URL below, another person had the same problem as reported by "DC-Videophile" on 01-01-12 at 08:33 PM.  On this same forum "rich3fan" reports problems that I have on 01-04-12 11:54 AM.  The very bad news would seem from "markjrenna" 01-04-12 09:29 PM where it is suggested that 1.9.1 will not be out before 1Q12!!!!  That is a long time to have this problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21441579#post21441579

A Review of My Events W/ Problems:

I did not record when the problems happen in December

NCIS, channel 50, "Dog Tags" USA Recorded 1/5/2012 2:00 PM

NCIS, Los Angeles; 50, USA Recorded 1/4/2012 7:00 PM

NCIS, channel 50, "In the Zone" USA Recorded 1/6/2012 6:00 PM (after Tech visit to home)

I notice with this event, when you hit fast forward, the progress bar moves forward with time then at a point it goes back to the start point, even when good video is playing in fast forward.  This program worked beyond 22 min then failed at maybe 38 min.  When I tried again, it failed at another point earlier (maybe 15 min) so it does not have a pattern.

Leverage, channel 51, TNT, "The Gold Club" Recorded 1/7/2012 2:00 AM (after Tech visit to home)

The Best Thing I Ever Ate, channel 164 Food Network, "Bang for the Buck" Recorded 1/6/2012 7:30 PM

My Name Is Earl, channel 52 TBS, "Stole P's HD Cart", Recorded 1/7/2012 8:00 AM (after Tech visited to home)

NCIS, channel 50 USA,"Internal Affairs" Recorded 1/6/2012 5:00 PM (after Tech visit to home)

NCIS, channel 50 USA, "UnSEALed" Recorded 1/8/2012 11:00 AM (after Tech visit to home)

and a lot more......... 

0 Likes
Re: DVR Problem w/QIP7232P2 DVR Operation; HOW Long will I have to wait for 1.9.1?
Smokeater55

I now observe this problem on about one out of three recordings.

It is so frustrating to get part way through a show then get kicked out and miss the ending when you accidently try to jump past a commercial and this bug spoils things.

Come on Verizon, this either this is a problem that everyone has and it is not tolerable OR something is very wrong with my installation to cause this problem  in my home.  One way or the other, it is not a good situation that is going to drive me to the County Cable Office first and Comcast next if you can't do something about it.

0 Likes
Re: DVR Problem w/QIP7232P2 DVR Operation; HOW Long will I have to wait for 1.9.1?
jg555
Enthusiast - Level 3

Have the same issue here as well. I have emailed tech support but no response yet.

0 Likes
xcaliburinhand

I think I am now on box number 5 or 6.  At least some of your programs play, I receive a full out feature not authorized message turning my DVR into a regular set top box.  

It is very frustrating to have to sit on the phone with a tech for half an hour of plug pulls and sent signals with an end result of a new box being shipped out.  After missing out on a few days of being able to record, followed by having to program a new box all over again, I get about three weeks before doing the dance all over again.

0 Likes
Rud56789
I'm having the same issues on two dvr's. Older shows recorded under the old software playback fine. With new shows it's a coin flip if they play correct. I'm thinking about going to a cable card and another company dvr. No point in paying for dvr's that don't function. If i cant fast forward, skip or even use their new chapters without getting booted back to the beginning the equipment is pretty useless.
0 Likes
sboychuck
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having the same problems. My guess is that a lot of people are having the same problems and just living with it. Those of us who know where to go on the Internet come here to find a fix.

It seems Verizon has some explaining to do. Maybe they should try Beta testing new software a little better. I would rather have to wait longer for something that works. I am sure that some manager or director said this is close enough, deploy it and we will see what happens. Well, you are seeing the problems. Time to fix your mistake.

All of us are telling our friends about the problems. The longer this goes on, the more people we will tell about it.

Wouldn't you rather us be telling our friends that their is an error in the new interface and that you are working hard to fix it?

If you want to be up front about this, then just tell us. We are adults and can handle it. If you made a mistake, own up to it and give us some credit for doing your Beta testing in the field.

Customer Service is all about telling the truth and if you made a mistake, admit it and lets move on with a fix. I do not want to be told again that I should be able to unplug it, power cycle it, try the on-board diagnostics, etc., etc.......

I am going to be repsonding on a daily basis to keep this topic at the top of the list.

Time to come clean. You will feel better Verizon.

Let's talk tomorrow.

0 Likes
rdijcks

In short, since you've covered my issues nearly exactly,  I'm also on this list of "customers" that is PAYING for a DVR that is not performing as promised, yet if I don't pay for my "service" it's shut off. 

HERE is what REALLY UPSETS ME...  When I call to complain about the problem, the customer service person makes comments like:  I've never heard that problem before.  Ya, I'm THAT unique. 
I can't think of anything more frustrating than to be made the problem.  They (customer service) are trained to make it about the customer instead of the equipment being a problem.

BECAUSE Im SICK of being made out to be the problem, I've started videoing the problem.  I'm going to post them online when I can get enough time and content to post.  Only problem with that is, only those who are aware of the problem will be interested in it!

0 Likes
Janssoner1

Add me to list of problems with 1.9.  Only on my 7232.  We have 3 other DVRs with no problems since 1.9.  I don't even try calling because I have done all (unplug, etc), am just waiting for new upgrade.  I am a software developer so it is frustrating when you know it has to be software since there was absolutely no problems before 1.9.  Just fix the program or give me back the previous version!!!!

0 Likes