DVR problems with on demand service
MxTx

I have noticed on multiple occasions that if I am recording 1 program and I watch something on demand at the same time, the program that recorded is unwatchable from the moment I started using the VOD service.  The DVR states the program is the full length, but it will stop and not go any further.

Is this a common problem?  Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: DVR problems with on demand service
MxTx

anybody else have this problem?

0 Likes
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

@MxTx wrote:

anybody else have this problem?

I troll these forums a lot and have not heard of this happening.

Are you recording 2 shows while trying to watch OnDemand? The OnDemand uses one of the tuners but the system will usually warn you if there will be impact to a recording.

0 Likes
micha1999

mleduc3565, are you sure about this? I was always under the impression that on-demand content was streamed over IP, and you can use your two tuners to record other shows while watching a movie. But I have been wrong before...

0 Likes
jcpittspa

I have the same problem.  It happened to me three times in the past two weeks while recording one program.  Twice it was a hockey game.  The beginning of the game plays correctly, then the screen begins to pause and pixelate, and then it jumps ahead an hour or an hour and a half.  The rest of the game plays normally.  After talking with my wife, I found out that she was watching On Demand during the missing time in the recording.  The third time that it happened, It was an episode of the Simpsons.  Right after the couch gag, the playback stopped, and it went back to the DVR menu.  I lost the whole episode.  Sure enough, my wife was watching On Demand during the recording.  

My theory is that this is a Verizon software bug in the DVR causing On Demand to use the wrong tuner.  As someone pointed out, On Demand content is delivered over IP.  But, when we activate On Demand, channel 900 plays in the background showing movie trailers or commercials or whatever.  There are two tuners in the DVR.  I believe On Demand is stealing the tuner being used for the DVR recording instead of the other one that isn't being used.  The show being recorded on the DVR loses it's tuner, and therefore a portion of the recording obviously can't be played back.

Verizon needs to fix this.  There is no reason that we shouldn't be able to watch On Demand and record one show at the same time.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@micha1999 wrote:

mleduc3565, are you sure about this? I was always under the impression that on-demand content was streamed over IP, and you can use your two tuners to record other shows while watching a movie. But I have been wrong before...

mleduc3565 is correct.  While the VOD is streamed via IP, it also requires 1 tuner.  Bottom line is you can record 2 while watching something already recorded, but only record 1 while watching a VOD.

0 Likes