Delays - Swtiching from HD to Non-HD Channels & Vice Versa
Bwayblue420
Enthusiast - Level 3

All,

I am using the HDMI inputs on two of my HD TVs (one a Sharp, the other a Samsung). Every time I switch from an HD Channel to a non-HD channel, there is a good 5 second delay with a black screen along with a message stating that it is searching for a signal. The same thing happens the other way non-HD to HD.

I never had this issue with Comcast. but I moved to a Cablevision town and would not give Dolan a single sent, despite loosing my Rangers in HD (Don't even get me started on that).

Can anybody shed some light on this and how to resolve it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Delays - Swtiching from HD to Non-HD Channels & Vice Versa
Bwayblue420
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Justin. I will try this tonight and let you know the results.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

The cause is the need for the STB and TV to re-negotiate the HDMI settings when you switch between HD and SD. The solution is to go into the Menu on the STB and set the SD Override to OFF

Menu ==> Settings ==> Video Settings ==> SD Override ==> Off

What that will do is cause the STB to send the SD signal to the TV in the same resolution you have selected for HD. The SD picture may be slightly worse than before, but the delay will disappear. I much prefer eliminating the delay. If you don't like the result you can always change the setting back.

Another option available to you is to used component connections instead of HDMI. You will still get an excellent picture but since you won't be using HDMI there will not be any delay when switching between HD and SD. 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Bwayblue420
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Justin. I will try this tonight and let you know the results.

0 Likes