Do I Need to Run Optics Cable From the STB to AVS to Get 5.1?
Norboo
Enthusiast - Level 1

My rears are not working.  Do I need to run optics cable from the STB to AVS to get 5.1?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I Need to Run Optics Cable From the STB to AVS to Get 5.1?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Norboo wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I just moved and and they changed my STB and all the settings are the same.  AVS is 3 years old.    

If you upgraded to the Fios one boxes you should go into the audio options in the settings menu in the box and enable passthrough. That way if the signal is 5.1, you'll hear it. It also keeps the original audio format so you may see stereo too.

View solution in original post

mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3

No you don't. If you have a 7.1 setup, then your rears won't work if you have the AVR set to just pass the audio signal through regardless of how you have it connected via HDMI or Toslink. If you're receiving a 5.1 signal then you'll only hear 5.1 channels. To simulate the other 2 channels you have to get the AVR to be in either PLIIX or Dolby Surround depending on the age of your AVR. Some brands use a "Movie"  or "Cinema"  button to accomplish this, others use a "Surround" button. Good luck. 

Norboo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I just moved and and they changed my STB and all the settings are the same.  AVS is 3 years old.    

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Norboo wrote:

If you upgraded to the Fios one boxes you should go into the audio options in the settings menu in the box and enable passthrough. That way if the signal is 5.1, you'll hear it. It also keeps the original audio format so you may see stereo too.