Does anyone know anything about the FIOS Multi Hub DVR?
jlkVa

What I would like to have is 3 TVs on my "network": 2 with DVRs and 1 with a set top box. And I would like to watch programs recorded on either DVR from any of the 3 TVs. After reading about the Multi Hub DVR (not Multi Room DVR) it appears this might be possible. Is that true? If so, how do I go about ordering a Multi Hub DVR as part of my FIOS equipment setup? It is not an option in Verizon's online ordering system and the phone order reps don't seem to know anything about it so they keep trying to steer me to the Multi Room DVR.

0 Likes
Re: Does anyone know anything about the FIOS Multi Hub DVR?
tns
Master - Level 2

Possible but you must have IMG 1.9.  IMG 1.9 is only fully rolled out in upstate New York, Western 2/3 of Pennsylvania, and Florida.  The others should be getting in the next few months if another work stoppage doesn't occur.

0 Likes
MisterEdF
Enthusiast - Level 2

@tns wrote:

Possible but you must have IMG 1.9.  IMG 1.9 is only fully rolled out in upstate New York, Western 2/3 of Pennsylvania, and Florida.  The others should be getting in the next few months if another work stoppage doesn't occur.

Egads ..... I have been hearing about this mysterious 1.9 for probably the last 1 1/2 years!  I'd really like to switch from DirecTV to Fios TV but until I can share DVR's playlists like I can on DirecTV I won't jump ship.

0 Likes
Re: Does anyone know anything about the FIOS Multi Hub DVD?
Not applicable

Hi there, from what I understand you want to be able to watch your recordings from either one of your TV's and from either one of the DVR's at any given time with just a click on your remote control. You are right, this would be considered the Multi Hub DVR network, however if you have Motorola set top boxes or DVRs installed in your home, you can pretty much forget about this. As far as Motorola's Set Top Boxes go, for some reason they cannot have more than one Hub within a network and be able to do what a Multi Hub network does. Let's say you have two HD DVR's and assuming one of them is already set up to be the primary hub (where all your favorite shows are being recorded), if I am right you will not be able to watch the recordings on the other TV that is connected to the other DVR. This is because all DVR's are considered Hub capable and with Motorola's DVR's, this would be a Hub to Hub and it would just not work; I have yet to find out the actual technicalities as to why this is.

Now, the only option available right now, with the Multi Hub DVR is to have Cisco brand equipment installed in your premise, that is DVR's and STB's. In order for this to work they all have to be Cisco brand; your network cannot be mixed with Motorola's and Cisco's because they are just not compatible with each other. As it was mentioned in the other user's post, I believe you do have to have the 1.9 IMG but I am not 100% sure and can get back to you on that. I am not sure what brand of DVR's or STB's you are currently using, however Verizon does carry both brands and you would have to call them and speak with their billing department to see what they can do in the event you are using Motorola. 

I would suggest that you continue to research on this prior to making any changes in your network, this is something I learned from someone else and not sure how accurate it could be, also if the customer reps don't seem to know much about this, try requesting a tier 2 rep and check if they might know more about this. Also some of the newest Motorola boxes seem to be catching up to Cisco so I don't know if in the near future you would be able to have this set up with Motorola equipment.

0 Likes
Re: Does anyone know anything about the FIOS Multi Hub DVD?
tns
Master - Level 2

Works fine with all Motorola if they are at 1.9.  The Cisco stuff is being delivered with 1.9, which is why it works with all Cisco.

0 Likes
hwswan
Enthusiast - Level 1

We live in Sarasota, FL and have been upgraded to multi hub DVR. We have 5 HD TVs, 3 with DVRs and 2 with HD Set Top Boxes. You have to name each DVR, e.g., "Family Room", "Kitchen", etc. then you can watch recorded shows at any TV from any DVR. This is very flexible. For example, we can start watching from one set and continue from another set. We love it!

0 Likes