Re: Don't Drop UniversalSports
wendywoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

The price keeps going up and the service keeps going down. There's no reason why FIOS couldn't still offer Universal Sports even if it is no longer OTA. Shame on you, Verizon. And I used to recommend you to friends and neighbors.

@gewagner wrote:

UniversalSports indicates that Verizon FIOS may soon drop their programming from its standard line-up.  I hope this does not happen since UniversalSports provides unique programming, like World Cup Skiing, that is simply not available through any other outlet.

0 Likes
wendywoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wish I had Direct TV now! There was no reason for FIOS to drop Universal Sports if they really want to offer unique programming to customers. I guess they don't care about us.

0 Likes
Re: Universal Sports
XcM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Versus has never been as good covering olympic level sports as NBC Universal Sports.  Take FIS Alpine world cup skiing as an example...  Versus showed a couple of events then would replay them over and over and over weekend after weekend after weekend... even when there were new events going on.  Then they'd only show a few of the runs and never the entire event .  Versus ROYALLY stinks.  They eventually replaced FIS skiing with the friggin' LOUIS VUITTON YACHT RACES (oh yea, that's got broad appeal... I'm sure there are tons more yacht racers than skiers!).  When Versus shows "USSA skiing and snowboarding" (as it's shown in the programming guide) it's always snowboarding and NEVER skiing.  Versus ain't OLN, that's for **bleep** sure.  It's a shadow of what it once was.

Now there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO, NADA, NOPLACE to get up to the minute coverage of ANY MAJOR OLYMPIC LEVEL SPORT such as 

Figure Skating

Bobsled

Gymnastics

Alpine Skiing

ETC ETC ETC!!!

And what they replaced it with is a complete and total waste of electrons. ... the "Living Well Network'!!!   YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!  I've  never seen such an incredible pile of refuse... 5 minutes of watching it is enough to make you lose your lunch!

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@wendywoo wrote:

Wish I had Direct TV now! There was no reason for FIOS to drop Universal Sports if they really want to offer unique programming to customers. I guess they don't care about us.

When will people understand that Verizon is NOT dropping anything.  This was a broadcast sub-channel that NBC decided to take from broadcast and make a cable channel.  The original configuration (as a sub-channel) costs nothing to carry (other than some QAM space and a VHO encoder) as opposed to a per subscriber fee to be paid by Verizon (really you and me) for everyone that has the cable channel on their tier.  Then there is the issue of where does one find the frequency space which (according to most accounts) is almost used up and how do you deterimine which of the zillion requests for channel "X" gets that precious space.

Perhaps what is needed is to create an IP only sports tier to solve this issue.  I like my sports as much as the next person but I really can name several other channels I'd like to see (and that have been asked for for years) rather than support Comca$t / NBC in their grab to create more revenue.  If it really is that important to you then the real solution is to vote with your feet (or dollars).

0 Likes
XcM
Enthusiast - Level 1

@MiMeQu wrote:

As some of the previous posters stated, it was not Verizon's decision to drop Universal Sports.  It was an OTA channel.  Comcast/NBC decided to remove it as an OTA channel and make it a cable channel.  So far, only Directv is carrying it as a cable channel. 

Now, you may be upset if Verizon decides not to pick it up as a cable channel.  There will be people that want it, and others that don't.  People will complain if Verizon doesn't pick it up.  If they do, others will complain that they don't want their cable bills going up to pay for a channel they don't watch.  While I would like to see Verizon carry it, with out luck, they will put it on the Ultimate Tier.

Sure... there are channels people don't want... The lineup is ALREADY front-loaded with channels with limited appeal that I don't want but am paying for. Yes it's utter garbage to me, but not to somebody.  So what makes them get their way?  This was the one "off brand" channel that I felt was targeted for someone like me... now NOBODY in my area except DirectTV carries it!!!  They've kept plenty of the real stinkers...  and the absolute pile of refuse they replaced Universal Sports with (Live Well Network!!!!)  is a dizzying pile of "advice" from Doctor Phil and Suze Orman wannabes... and both of them make me want to expel my lunch as it is... 

ganleybob

I have to agree that I'd like to see Universal Sports on FIOS.

It was one of the only channels that I watch on a regular basis.  No other place to get that type of great sports programming.

0 Likes
freerider
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sure... there are channels people don't want... The lineup is ALREADY front-loaded with channels with limited appeal that I don't want but am paying for. 

I can't echo this sentiment any better and am truly saddened by this change, regardless of the reason. I for one would pay for a channel like Universal Sports, especially in HD. I'd trade a handfull of channels for this one.
0 Likes
astromickey

I just switched over from DirecTV, so don't think that they're giving away Universal Sports for free.  They started it out as a two month or so promo, then moved it up to a sports package tier so you didn't get it in the main packages.

0 Likes
BRING BACK UNIVERSAL SPORTS
wkmont

There is a previous message regarding Universal Sports that says resolved, but the issue is NOT resolved. Verizon FIOS no longer carries Universal Sports. Please return Universal Sports to the line up. Regardless of the fact that is was over the air, now a cable channel - the fact is that is was the only real provider of certain sporting events, i.e. Olympic type events such as downhill skiing, snowboarding, swimming, ice skating, etc. Negotiate and get the channel back on the air instead of ignoring your customers. - Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: BRING BACK UNIVERSAL SPORTS
charliewatts
Contributor - Level 2

WHO NEEDS IT?  USELESS CHANNEL.

Launched in 2005 as World Championship Sports Network and then rebranded Universal Sports in 2008, the channel has not gone under but rather has changed its distribution strategy and is basically starting from scratch.

Prior to Jan. 1, Universal Sports, which is majority owned by InterMedia Partners — with Comcast's NBCUniversal holding a small stake — was offered to distributors such as Time Warner Cable for free. The channel was not technically a cable channel but instead was a digital broadcast channel. Locally, KNBC-TV provides some of its channel capacity to Universal Sports for distribution purposes.

Now, Universal Sports wants to be paid by distributors for carriage and is being offered as a stand-alone cable network. So far, satellite broadcaster DirecTV is the only multichannel video program distributor to have cut a deal with the channel, but its officers say they are confident that they'll be in 15 million to 20 million homes by the end of 2012. Previously, the channel was available in about 40 million homes.

Unlike many sports channels, Universal Sports is not asking distributors to carry the network on their most popular programming package, typically known as expanded basic or digital. Instead, it is seeking to be part of specialty packages that consumers pay extra to receive if they want the channel.

0 Likes