Dvr expansion issue
Rmstew11
I just attached an external esata drive to my dvr. I went to the dvr menu and enabled more storage. I connect the drive. It asks me if I want to reformat and I select yes. So it appears the drive is recognized, but after reboot of the STB, there is no external drive visible. It is a 3tb estata drive. It asks me about formatting the drive every time I reboot my STB.
0 Likes
Re: Dvr expansion issue
prisaz
Legend

I have heard of people using the 2TB drives, but 3TB is rather pushing the limit and may not complete the format process.

Supported drives

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Other+Hardware/eSATA/129841.htm

Which eSATA external storage devices can I use with my FiOS DVR?

Verizon recommends the eSATA hard drives below for use with FiOS DVR. Customers choosing to install other drive types will assume the risk of compatibility with FiOS DVR and Verizon will not assist with compatibility or performance issues should they arise.

• Western Digital – WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ – 500GB
  • Western Digital – WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ – 1TB
  • Western Digital Retail – WDBABT0010HBK-NESN – 1TB
0 Likes
tailsct

Happy new year BTW! 

I haven't had the need to expand more than the supplied 500Gb so I've yet to experience your issue.  Although I might consider connecting to my HD STB without DVR capability to see if it works!  Anyway, to attempt to answer your question.  As you may have learned from past experience, certain hardware (cell phones, cameras, etc...) only accepts up to a certain size storage device.  The first thing I thought of was the size your attempting to attach to the DVR.  I'd suggest trying a smaller storage device (750 / 1Tb) to see if you have any luck.  Or maybe use the USB instead of the eSATA connection? 

I checked the Motorola (assuming that's the DVR model you're using) QIP 7232 (P)2 data sheet to see it they have external storage device restrictions and of course nothing is stated. 

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/Set-tops/Hybr...

BTW, the QIP 7232 DVR is MoCA compliant and can be used as whole home media server.   Provided you have HD STB's located thoughout your home.  Verizon wants to charge $10 for their HD set to box (STB), $16 for their standard DVR and I think $21 for their "whole home" DVR.  I know that's not why you posted but provided Verizon FIOS supports this functionality of the Motorola QIP7232, it could be a nice add on to your home as well.    

This is what I'm talking about. 

http://www.mocalliance.org/   - watch the video

The only thing I'm curious about, in the video, is the installation of the Power Over Ethernet (PoE) filter they installed.  Would that be required for multi room interconnectivity?  Anyway, good luck with a better answer.  Be sure to post if you find an answer!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Let me clarify the The Motorola DVD must also be running img 1.9. If you have the option to connect the drive and add external storage, you do have 1.9.  I would suspect that the drive speed and size has the most to do with if it will work or not. The AV drives are made just for this purpose, and that is why certain drives are specified.

POE. Power over Ethernet? What doe that have to do with an external drive?

PS. Don't go by the Motorola Web site. The Verizon STBs and DVRs have custom software, and may not use the functions that are not specified by Verizon.

0 Likes
Rmstew11
Thanks for the info. I just went out and bought a 2tb drive. I was going to get the 1tb, but the 2 was only $20 more and I could not resist. Has anyone actually used a 2tb drive? I am a little hesitant to open it and try. Please let me know. Thanks!
0 Likes
hockeyusa81
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am currently using a 2 TB esata drive in an enclosure and had some issues initially with it but not anymore. I've recorded over 70 hours of HD programming and still have about 70 percent of the drive available so I can say it definitely does work and rather nicely.
hardcorerobot
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too was unsuccessful getting a 3tb drive to work.  Each time it would ask to format, but the drive would never show up as available.  Plugging into my computer, I could see that the DVR was formatting a 2tb partition.  This made me think it was limited to 2TB, but even with the smaller partition, wouldnt work.  

I hooked up a 2TB and it worked immediately.  Im having issues with the DVR losing sync with my ESATA drive (http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/DVR-claiming-ESATA-Drive-has-been-previous...), but I dont think its related.  Had been working for months before any issues.

0 Likes
kelvingerold

What model 2TB drive did you use?

0 Likes
Re: Dvr expansion issue - Build-Your-Own Formula
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@kelvingerold wrote:

What model 2TB drive did you use?

Take a look at this post for some fine details on "rolling your own':

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Build-your-own-2TB-External-Hard-drive-exp...

0 Likes