Expanding DVR space?
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

I have searched and found a bunch of old threads linked from the FAQ (one thread seems deleted, but still in the FAQ list). None seems more recent than January, 2009.

Is it still not possible to add an external HDD to the Motorola STBs?  Are there perhaps models with more storage?

We have only a few hours of HD programming on ours and are finding that programs are being deleted faster than we can watch them.

Coming from DirecTV with boxes that can add external HDDs (and 80+ hours internally) this is a serious (one more on my growing list) disappointment with the whole FIOS bundle.

0 Likes
Re: Expanding DVR space?
Justin46
Legend

No. Rumors of one coming, but no announcement. Original rumor was first quarter 2010, but now that looks rather unlikely - we could get a nice surprise though, you never know.....

There are only two DVRs available from Verizon currently, both with 160 GB hard drives. If you need more space you could buy a Tivo and use that, or a Moxi. You would gain space and their functionality but lose the FiOS Guide, VOD, and Widgets.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@CStenfors wrote:

I have searched and found a bunch of old threads linked from the FAQ (one thread seems deleted, but still in the FAQ list). None seems more recent than January, 2009.

Is it still not possible to add an external HDD to the Motorola STBs?  Are there perhaps models with more storage?

We have only a few hours of HD programming on ours and are finding that programs are being deleted faster than we can watch them.

Coming from DirecTV with boxes that can add external HDDs (and 80+ hours internally) this is a serious (one more on my growing list) disappointment with the whole FIOS bundle.

Hello, yes at this time there is no ESATA support on the motorola STB's, there will be a 1.9 software release coming up and it's "scheduled" To be on that update, but we still have 1.8 software that goes to the boxes first.  (i heard they are skipping 1.8 and going straight to 1.9)  

Also later this year we are waiting for verizon to release the new motorola box and cisco cable boxes that have 320gb vs the 160 that is in there now.   It's one of fios's biggest complaints so they are trying to get that fixed. 

at this time the only way to get additional space is by getting a Tivo or a Moxi STB and combine that with a Fios Cable card.

Those have heavy upfront costs (comparitively) and so are at times cost prohibitive, but people usually don't buy those cable boxes to save money, they buy them to add functionality.  so if you didn't want to wait, you could exercise this option immediately. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Here is a posting I made regarding Tivo. $3.99 cable card rental from Verizon, and $12.95 Tivo subscription. At the Time I bought the $199 refurbished tivo, It still has the 160 gig drive, but you can expand it like mentioned here. You give up options that FIOS provides, but then gain others. I had the refurbished TIVO HD and the drive crashed two weeks after the 90 day warrenty expired. But you can replace the 160 gig drive with 1 terabyte drive for about $100. Same space as the $599 Tivo HD XL, but you don't get the THX features. Their are new Tivo modles out, that may be an option for you if you can not wait for Verizon.

KenAF also provides very good details in this thread.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/TIVO-w-cards-vs-FiOS-DVR/m-p/98755#M15425

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Also later this year we are waiting for verizon to release the new motorola box and cisco cable boxes that have 320gb vs the 160 that is in there now.   It's one of fios's biggest complaints so they are trying to get that fixed. 

Going to 320Gb? so I can get from 20 hours of HD programming to 40? When with SD I used to have 80+ hours? Wow, talk about an improvement that fails for two reasons 1) it's not available and 2) it is not much of an improvement.

While I understand and sympathize wtih Vz that it would be very costly for them to install much larger HDs in all STBs, I don't see why they cannot simply make it so customers like me that want more storage can simply plug in an eSATA or USB drive of our own choosing.

Both Dish and DirectTV make this option available n their HD STBs.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well one of the things that is supposed to come with the new STB's is the ability to add external storage (eSata, firewire, USB, something like that) that will allow you to add all the storage that you want. Now that may be just rumor, or wishfull thinking, but that is what has been floating around. We will have to wait and see.

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

@spacedebris wrote:

Well one of the things that is supposed to come with the new STB's is the ability to add external storage (eSata, firewire, USB, something like that) that will allow you to add all the storage that you want. Now that may be just rumor, or wishfull thinking, but that is what has been floating around. We will have to wait and see.

Yes, that and who will get these new STBs and if they will switch them out for existing customers (at what charge??). Again, it is the type of thing that is clearly going to hit Vz's pocket and they ar enot simply going to take the hit themselves.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Price I cant speak to, But that last time they had a box upgrade, they did it in the order of... New customers first, then repair issues, then customers that ask for it (in order of install, oldest to newest), and then when that is all said and done, then they will do everyone else. That is assuming that they are going drop motorola all together, If they decide to keep the Motorola boxes, then likely they will stop after all the requests.

0 Likes
ffrcoupe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be able to use my NAS for additional DVR HD space.

I'm currently at 4TB and counting. Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

I will have FIOS available in the next couple of months but I will not switch from DirectTV even if I will save some good money for the triple bundle for one reason only DVR space. That a shame that Verizon is so slow in upgradingit's equipment while satellite providers are so much ahead. Overall Verizon is the company who have worst managers who manage company so purly in any direction that any other company with that kind of management will go down in flames...

0 Likes