FIOS over both Coax and CAT5 with TV, possible?
itguy08
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi!

I'm currently a FIOS Internet customer and have the Internet provisioned over Coax.  I've got the Actiontec setup as a bridge and am using a D-Link DIR-655 router as my wireless router/firewall.  It's working great as the device is an 802.11n device and I get very good speeds on my FIOS connection.

We're having TV installed on Thursday and from what I gather this will mean I pretty much have to use the Actiontec as my primary router as the DIR-655 doesn't support bridge mode.  With the 802.11g, I'll loose a lot of my bandwidth and don't want to do that.

I can run the CAT5 cable to the Dlink from the ONT (not a problem as I've wired our whole house) so can I have the Internet on CAT5, run the D-Link as my primary router and have the Actiontec plugged into the DLink and the Coax?  This is pretty much what I have right now and should work.

Or would I get a new Actiontec with 802.11n? 🙂

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS over both Coax and CAT5 with TV, possible?
itguy08
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I played with it last night and have it working LAN to LAN with the Actiontec in front.

Once I get it all working, I'll muck with it more.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Why do you say the DIR-655 does NOT support bridge mode.  You should be able to place a cable from one of the LAN ports on the Actiontec to one of the LAN ports on the DIR-655 to achieve bridging of both devices.Just be sure to disable DHCP on the DIR-655 and set the LAN interface to be on the same subnet as the actiontec (192.168.1.0).

If you choose to have the Actiontec not as primary then you can't do any remote DVR functionality.  Not sure if that is important to you or not.  Otherwise everything else should work fine.

Keep in mind the Actiontec needs the COAX connection to provide connection to the STB's.  It can also provide a connection to the internet or a cat5/6 cable can be installed to provide the Internet connectivity.

0 Likes
itguy08
Enthusiast - Level 2

For Bridge mode, I'm thinking of a way to disable the router functionality and just have the DIR act as a dumb pipe for both wireless and wired.  I installed a Netgear for a family member and it had a "bridge mode".

I'm thinking of a setup like this:

CAT5 --> DIR-655 WAN port and let the DIR-655 handle everything for us.

COAX --> ActionTec

LAN Port1 ActionTec --> LAN Port 1 of the DIR-655

This should give me connectivity for the MOCA parts of the boxes.

Have the DIR-655 block off 192.168.1.100 - .125 for the STB's (by MAC Address) and assign the 2-99 for the other devices in the house.  From what I've read that should give me online DVR capabilities (important to us), allow me to use the better D-Link wireless, Ethernet, etc.

If Verizon would just provide an 802.11n router I wouldn't care, but what good is a 25/15 connection when you can't use it to its full potenetial?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I haven't' seen this topic discussed in a while on here but the last I heard and tried that the only way for remote DVR functionality (meaning the ability to program your STB via the Internet) is to have the Actiontec router as primary router (connected to the Internet).

In your setup the remote DVR functionality will never work.  

This would work (if Cat 5 need COAX as well)

ONT and STB--->COAX --> ActionTec COAX Connection---> and

ONT and Internet-->Cat5>>>> ActionTec WAN Connection-->

--------------------------------------------------------

If you only want COAX connection then you only need the COAX connection

ONT--->COAX --> ActionTec---> 

--------------------------------------------------------
Then

Actiontec LANport--->DIR-655 LANPORT

0 Likes
itguy08
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I played with it last night and have it working LAN to LAN with the Actiontec in front.

Once I get it all working, I'll muck with it more.

0 Likes
JustPassingBy
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jumpin68ny wrote:

I haven't' seen this topic discussed in a while on here but the last I heard and tried that the only way for remote DVR functionality (meaning the ability to program your STB via the Internet) is to have the Actiontec router as primary router (connected to the Internet).

Users are not required to have the Actiontec as the primary router in order to access Remote DVR functionality.

In my case, the Linksys WRT150N is the primary router (internet) with the Actiontec sitting behind it (tv).

As a result, you can have your cake and eat it too Smiley Happy

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/remove-FiOS-subnet-on-my-network-and-change-router-to-dum...

-jpb

0 Likes