Feature Request (again): Guide for the visually impaired.
copota
Enthusiast - Level 1

Five years ago I posted a request for consideration, which was to hoepfully add an option to the guide that will aid a person with visual impairments. Persoanlly, I can't see how this would be too difficult of a task, and the benefits to those who are visually impaired, I'm sure, would be greatly appreciated.

I just received the latest guide update as of this post, and it appears the guide has now become even more difficult to read. I have a family member who is sight imparied, and they now struggle even more to view the guide.

Hopefully this board is monitored by somone with the authorization to implement, or at least advise such an option for consideration.

To those reading this post, and agree that a visaully impaired option should be added to the guide, please reply to this post so it gains some attention, otherwise it will just get buried, and never taken into consideration.

The current guide should offer an option which can be enabled so that it adds a larger and more spaced font, with color schemes benefical to those with sight impairments.

Hopefully this doesnt go unoticed for another five years.

Thanks for any consideration.

0 Likes
Re: Feature Request (again): Guide for the visually impaired.
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

POSTING HERE GETS YOU NOTHING.  This is a peer to peer forum.  Unfortunatly the forum where this might be noticed has been archived pending a new version planned for ntext year.

Although you and others apparently disagree, Verizon was working in the new IMG to improve the guides readablity.  Having the Quantum VMS and IPC boxe, which haven't gotten this update, I can't tell other than by the screenshots some have posted whether they are better/same/worse.

0 Likes
copota
Enthusiast - Level 1

As for the guide, I feel there should be two seperate versions of the guide. One for people with normal vision, and one specifically desigened for those that have a visual impairment. You should be able to activate the visually impaired guide in settings, as an option.

You'll never be able to make one  guide thats appealing to normal sighted inviduals, which is also easy to read for those that are visually impaired. Therfore, there should be two seperate guides, or skins.

Anyhow, I feel this is at least an official Verizon support site, maintained and run by Verizon employees. So, at the very least a discussion has been opened, and hopefully others will voice thier opinions as well.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So couple of comments:

1) Does any other provider offer different guides? I only ask because unfortunately Verizon is running a business. They have to compete with the other providers. Not sure what the return on investment would be for this (ie how many additional customers do they get/retain for their investment).

2) Who decides what the visually impaired guide would look like? There are a number of visual impairments. Color blindness, blurred vision, failing vision, etc.

I feel for those with impaired vision, but not sure there is a big enough population of customers to make it worth it.

0 Likes
copota
Enthusiast - Level 1

1) Does any other provider offer different guides?

I doubt it, which would make this a prime opportunity to provide such a beneficial feature in order to get more customers. I know people that have children who were born with hearing disabilities, and specifically went with FiOS because their closed captioning was more available for all stations compared to other providers.

2) Who decides what the visually impaired guide would look like?

Dude, seriously, a larger font, more spaced text, and higher contrast color scheme is not all that difficult to provide. If you seriously think there isn’t a lot of people with sight disabilities, then you should visit an ophthalmologist for some schooling. BTW, at the age of 40, everyone’s eyesight starts to distort since the eye starts to change shape. Of course, not enough to require a new guide, though by the time you hit your 60's, an easier to read guide would be a well-received comfort.

0 Likes