Re: Feature requests(s)
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@CherylPDX wrote:

Thank you CapnTrips for starting this thread. It's nice to be able to put forth ideas in a civilized manner and have someone actually listen to them! 

Then please click on the "Kudos!" icon on that first post! Smiley Wink  It can only seerve to increase this thread's visibility!

CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Additional features requested (some previously mentioned but not numbered):

(10) Allow Multi-room DVR to be controlled from any STB (set up recordings, delete, etc.)

(11) in the Guide, display "new" in the short listing rather than only the expanded listing

(12) Guide accuracy has been often bemoaned in these fora.  Guide CURRENCY is an equal problem.  Particularly Sports listings, which are subject to changes.  PLEASE PLEASE get a better guide provider! (PLEASE!)

(13) The DVR settings allow you to select how many shows in a series to save (1, 2, 5, 10, ...), but it will only save the FIRST 1, 2, 5, or 10 shows in the selected series and then will record no more shows until you delete some.  I have been disappointed when I expected to be able to watch the most recent Daily Show only to see that it was not recorded because of an older one still being saved.  It would be very useful if one could SELECT whether to save the oldest shows, or alternatively to save the MOST RECENT shows in the series (i.e. when you have reached your threshold of 1, 3, 5, or 10, it will delete the oldest program as it records the most recent one). 

(14) Allow an option for the guide to be displayed using the full 16:9 aspect ratio of HDTVs, thereby allowing more than 90 minutes - perhaps 120, 150 or even 210 minutes of guide data on the screen at once.

Thanks again for listening.

Message Edited by CapnTrips on 10-02-2008 09:00 AM
nascar
Master - Level 1

@CapnTrips wrote:

Additional features requested (some previously mentioned but not numbered):

(10) Allow Multi-room DVR to be controlled from any STB (set up recordings, delete, etc.)

(11) in the Guide, display "new" in the short listing rather than only the expanded listing

(12) Guide accuracy has been often bemoaned in these fora.  Guide CURRENCY is an equal problem.  Particularly Sports listings, which are subject to changes.  PLEASE PLEASE get a better guide provider! (PLEASE!)

(13) The DVR settings allow you to select how many shows in a series to save (1, 2, 5, 10, ...), but it will only save the FIRST 1, 2, 5, or 10 shows in the selected series and then will record no more shows until you delete some.  I have been disappointed when I expected to be able to watch the most recent Daily Show only to see that it was not recorded because of an older one still being saved.  It would be very useful if one could SELECT whether to save the oldest shows, or alternatively to save the MOST RECENT shows in the series (i.e. when you have reached your threshold of 1, 3, 5, or 10, it will delete the oldest program as it records the most recent one). 

(14) Allow an option for the guide to be displayed using the full 16:9 aspect ratio of HDTVs, thereby allowing more than 90 minutes - perhaps 120, 150 or even 210 minutes of guide data on the screen at once.

Thanks again for listening.

Message Edited by CapnTrips on 10-02-2008 09:00 AM

Regarding 13...  My DVR will continually record episodes overwriting those that are already there.  How do I change it to not do that?  This is what I am used to with Comcast and miss that feature.

A choice to keep old recordings or overwrite with new would be very welcomed.

Number 10 would be terrific.  At least allow me to delete a recording from a remote STB.

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nascar wrote: Regarding 13... My DVR will continually record episodes overwriting those that are already there. How do I change it to not do that? This is what I am used to with Comcast and miss that feature. A choice to keep old recordings or overwrite with new would be very welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what you mean. As I understand it, mine would only do that if the DVR is full and needs to make room for a new recording. Then it will delete the oldest unprotected recording of ANY kind - not one from that particular series. (At least that's what I presume. I haven't actually filled up the DVR yet, as I try to manage my recordings to prevent that.)

Regardless, there is a setting in Series Manager where you can select when to delete the recording, and although I forget the exact words, there is an option "Only when I tell you to" which will "Protect" that recording indefinitely.

All of this discussion simply reinforces feature request Number:

(2) MORE RECORDING CAPACITY! Up to 100 hours would be about right. 160 Gb HD is ridiculously small these days. Your average laptop has twice that. 1 Terabyte Hard Drives are pretty readily available these days. Either via Hard Drive upgrade or an external hard drive (eSata, USB, Home Media/Media Manager PC link). We really need this!

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Not saying mine is full at all.  I need to revisit it.  But when I setup Series recordings when I first got the DVR it didn't work as I was used to with Comcast.  I need to revisit my Series recording settings so I can make sure I am understanding how Verizon does it in comparison to Comcast.

I'll check it and post back my results.

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

For the moderators, for ease of tracking, here is a summary of the features requested in this thread to date.  To me the top four are the number one priorities:

(1) MORE RECORDING CAPACITY! Up to 100 hours would be about right. 160 Gb HD is ridiculously small these days. Your average laptop has twice that. 1 Terabyte Hard Drives are pretty readily available these days. Either via Hard Drive upgrade or an external hard drive (eSata, USB, Home Media/Media Manager PC link). We really need this!;

(2) IMPROVE the program guide.  (a) “New” program flagging (and display on compact listing)(b) Insufficient useful info (Teams on Sports, Actors on movies, etc.)(c) Not updated with dynamically changing schedules (like playoff games in sporting events) (d) use the full 16:9 aspect ratio of HDTVs, thereby allowing more than 90 minutes - perhaps 120, 150 or even 210 minutes of guide data.There is an entire thread ("Guide Sucks!" ) discussing the problems with the guide;

(3) For Home Media DVR: Add the capability to stream ALL standard types of audio files as well as activating the frequently-reported as imminent PC VIDEO streaming (all formats) capability; 

(4) Activate HD STB compatibility with Home Media DVR wherever IMG 1.6 is already rolled out; 

(5) Fix the glitches with playback of recorded programming.  Documented in other threads; 

(6) Have the DVR extend recording as necessary for programming that runs over its scheduled time.  It is pretty standard now that DVRs will extend a recording if a program runs over its originally-scheduled time.  There is no excuse for FIOS TV to not be so capable as well; 

(7) Allow display of selected channel video when streaming MUSIC via Home Media DVR (Allow the user to toggle from viewing the music playback screen to the background TV picture). 

(8) Provide sound volume leveling across the channels.  Many channels come in at varying volumes. 

(9)  When playing back a recorded program on the DVR, allow direct entry of a time to skip to (rather than having to tediously fast-forward). 

(10) In Home Media DVR capability, allow HD recordings to be played back in SD on SD boxes to SD TVs. 

(11) Activate (or program) the PIP capability in the DVR. 

(12) Allow Multi-room DVR to be controlled from any STB (set up recordings, delete, etc.) 

(13) Allow the user to select whether to save the “most recent” or “oldest” shows when selecting the number of episodes of a recurring series to save.

CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

(Rats!  I hate it when I forget something and can no longer edit my post!)

Regarding item number (3) above, please modify it as follows:

(3) For Home Media DVR: Add the capability to stream ALL standard types of audio files as well as activating the frequently-reported as imminent PC VIDEO streaming (all formats) capability.  Also allow streaming of DRM-protected files (this is, after all, PERSONAL USE and perfectly lega!); 

0 Likes
slothrob
Enthusiast - Level 2
The Comcast DVR had a nice feature.  If you hit the guide button while looking at a scheduled DVR recording, it would go to the place in the guide where that show was listed.  This was a great shortcut for editing the "to record" list or checking show info instead of having to click through days and hours with the arrow buttons.  I'd use this a lot when I need to change from an HD recording scheduled to an SD in order not to over fill the drive.
Also, the favorites guide clicks back to the original channel if you check the info on a program.  This is very annoying if you are scanning through the list to see if there is anything good on.
jim55
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just returned from 4 months at my summer cabin with Direct Tv the only service available.  I am now reacquainting my self with FIOS and the two biggest downers with FIOS are the program guide and the small Hard drive. 

The Direct TV guide is so far superior that there is no comparison.  It has so much more and better information it make the Fios guide look like a pale imitation. The sad thing is that Verizon could probably get better guide information simply by spending a little more money.

The second feature where Direct TV shines is the size of their hard drive.  I sure wish Verizon would offer a DVR with a larger hard drive or open the USB port to allow users to add a large external Hard drive.

My biggest complaint about Direct TV was they did not offer any PBS channels in HD.  Verizon gives me two to chose from so kudos for that.

Jim55

CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

@CapnTrips wrote:

I can definitely confirm that a series of shows will overwrite each other when necessary.  For example, I have a series recording set up for South Park (on Comedy Central) to record up to FIVE episodes.  If there are FIVE episodes currently in my list, the oldest one will get deleted automatically when an upcoming episode is about the record.  I see this happen all the time when there is a South Park marathon.  This occurs regardless of how full the DVR is (I usually keep mine around 50-80% full).  I also want to add that this behavior occurred with versions 1.5 and 1.6 IMG.

0 Likes