FiOS Quantum - make content graphics optional
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

Modify content graphics

I'd like to have the graphics that appear in the guide and as "suggestions" removed - or made optional.   My observations lead me to believe they are a large contributor to the "latency", causing slow response as the images are requested and transmitted over the network and then displayed.

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Quantum - make content graphics optional
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn off a bunch of the interactive, a suggestion stuff, and this should not be a problem.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tns_2 wrote:

Turn off a bunch of the interactive, a suggestion stuff, and this should not be a problem.

I agree with the OP, that stuff needs to be optional. And if you can provide specific directions to get rid of that particular stuff it wil be greatly appreciated, I have not been able to find any settings that affect the display of those graphics, and I have looked a bunch, you can clearly see how much it slows down the displays.

Thanks for any specifics you can provide. I have software level APR-2.0 Build Number 04.27 (and hoping to get 04.28 tonight or tomorrow night).

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depends on what portion of the guide.  I see no suggestions in the "guide" after turning off a bunch of options.  I do so a graphic added for the highlighted channel for some channels and programs.

In Settings/Television, I have Interactive TV, Recommendations Disabled.

In Settings/notifications, I have pop up alerts set to never show again, recommendations off (is this different then the one in Television?), and promotions and guide banner Disabled.

I use Favorites an have none of the barker channels in my list.

VOD screen is the only place I still see things pushed, but that screen appears to come up fairly fast.

My guide comes up fast and scrolls fast as well, even if I wait the fraction of a second for the graphic on the highlighted channel to come up,  You don't have to wait for it to come up before scrolling or selecting a channel.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tns_2 wrote:

Depends on what portion of the guide.  I see no suggestions in the "guide" after turning off a bunch of options.  I do so a graphic added for the highlighted channel for some channels and programs.

In Settings/Television, I have Interactive TV, Recommendations Disabled.

In Settings/notifications, I have pop up alerts set to never show again, recommendations off (is this different then the one in Television?), and promotions and guide banner Disabled.

I use Favorites an have none of the barker channels in my list.

VOD screen is the only place I still see things pushed, but that screen appears to come up fairly fast.

My guide comes up fast and scrolls fast as well, even if I wait the fraction of a second for the graphic on the highlighted channel to come up,  You don't have to wait for it to come up before scrolling or selecting a channel.

I have every one of the settings you mention set the same way, still seeing the stuff I don't want to see.

The problem for me with the useless graphics in the Guide when viewing the list of programs is that the text appears first, then it gets redrawn when the graphic appears. I just got the latest APR-2.0 Build 04.28.2 overnight, the graphic does seem to appear somewhat faster than on the previous level, but it is still distracting to me for the text to appear and then get redrawn.

Even worse is when I hit the Info button while while in the Guide and while watching a channel, I see the More Like This junk at the bottom, and that display of graphics has a very noticeable display lag, very distracting. Plus probably 75% of the programs shown are nothing like the program I am looking at in the Guide, most of the time it is "More Not Like This."

All I want is to have an option to discontinue seeing those graphics.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

TNS_2,

Thanks for the suffestion.  It's been off since "day 1".

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

Justin,

Yes - I concur.  

Those are the useless, annoying graphics I was referring to -- which serve no useful purpose and can oly serve to slow things down as thee system serves them up.

0 Likes