Re: FiOS, TiVo, and CableCards
SWisler817

I'm having trouble with one of the FiOS cable jacks in my house (no coax LAN connectivity), so I made an appointment with fiber solutions to have someone come out to look at the jack and hopefully fix it.  I just bought a TiVo HD and was hoping to get the guy fixing my FiOS to install the Cablecard in the same visit to avoid (even the threat of) the $79 fee.  I figured, well he's going to be here anyway, he can just pop in a Cablecard, program it, and I'll be good to go.  I guess Verizon sees it differently because I was told to contact customer support to setup a new install. There was nothing fiber solutions could do about that.

She gave me a direct number so I didn't have to wait on hold, which was nice, but it turns out that their systems are not connected at all.  Therefore, I would have to place a separate ticket to get a "new" installation of the Cablecard (the connected jack is there, the tech would just have to activate the cablecard since he was going to be here anyway). This would require a seperate verizon tech to come out to do this.  I asked her if the there were seperate teams of people for problems vs. installation and she told me that the dispach is the same so she assumed it was all the same truck. Meaning that the truck coming to fix my FiOS jack was capable of installing a cablecard, but couldn't because fiber solutions and customer service can't talk to each other.

From an efficiency point of view this made no sense to me, but I kept trying to get at the heart of the situation.  From what I could gather, customer support could not access fiber solutions' files, and therefore two separate crews would have to visit me.  She was super nice and offered to make the appointment for the same day and time as my service visit, and of course charge a $79 truck roll fee.  

Can someone from Verizon please help me understand this? There is a real possibility that 2 seperate Verizon crews could be at my house at exactly the same time, working on the same service, and yet I'm the one footing the bill? I am being punished for Verizon's system not being completely integrated? It seems to me that either Verizon is really poorly setup (which wouldn't surprise me) or I am being charged a punishment fee for opting to own my own equipment, or more likely a little of each. I'm willing the pay the $4/month to replace the free cable box on my secondary TV, I'm not willing to pay for Verizon's inefficiencies. In addition to the completely spotty service I have to be nickeled and dimed too? C'mon Verizon! Stop putting very nice customer service people in the middle of your crummy policies!

I get that everyone is saying that there will actually not ever be a fee applied, but I really can't take the chance of losing $79 for such a frivolous reason.   I know a bunch of people are saying they're told there will be one and it never shows up but I'm just curious, can anyone say whether they have actually ever been charged this fee?

0 Likes
SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well...

Despite all the horror stories, 2 techs came to install the card last Saturday.  They

had to connect to my router (which I renamed), so had to give him the new name, which

took the tech a little by surprise,. But after about 20 minutes, they were gone.  Tivo/Card

working like a charm.  Did talk to them about some of the issues reported.  Usually it

has to do with people not actually setting up the Tivo before they come in.  Since I already

went through the setup, and all the updates, there were no real issues.

Now, to compare it with the VZ box...  I've had the pleasure of having Tivo before, with the

original Directv installs.  I guess I was expecting a little more than those units.  One of the

real reasons for going back to the Tivo was the interface with my PCs on my network.  So

I downloaded Tivo Desktop, and unfortunately i'm not very impressed.  Very slow, and not

the best 'interface', even though its Tivo.  Looking at Galleon now.  The Netflix access works
great, they just need to get some better variety of instant access titles.  Looks like Blockbuster

still will charge for on demand access, even with an online account.

I definitely will miss the 'On Demand' option on the FIOS DVR, especially the Premium/Local

channels series.

Does anyone now if there is a future between Tivo & FIOS to make some type of On Demand

offer ?

Also, any update on adding a Hardrive to the Fios boxes ?

-Steve

0 Likes
SWisler817

@SYSSJR

were you charged the $79 truck roll? I'm considering just going for it, but am curious

0 Likes
SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well....

The interesting thing, was that when I placed the order, there was no mention of a charge.  I will wait for the next

bill and update this post.

-Steve

0 Likes
TexasTim

Well... I got Tivo to upgrade me to a TivoHD for $99 and keep my existing plan of $6.95/month. So, hopefully tehre will be no hassles. Im about to call Verizon and set up the install. Tivo warehouse is about 10 miles from my house...ships tomorrow and should be here Wednesday.

So, if you guys want to upgrade, just tell them you are thinking about canceling Tivo service and switching to your cable company. The refurbs are $199, and if you say you are going to cancel, then a new door opens and there is a $99 upgrade and you keep your existing plan. They said the refurb isnt really a refurb, but more of an open box return. They package it all back up, then send it out. It keeps the new Tivo warranty.

0 Likes
SYSSJR
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just got the bill.  Was not charged for the truck roll !!!!

0 Likes