Re: Fios One Box/Remote Glitching When Connected With an Older Receiver
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@pnutzlaw wrote:

I have 3 mini boxes in our bedrooms, but I would prefer not to mess with them as all 3 work perfectly.  I did connect the Fios box directly to the television -- same problem! After unplugging the box and removing the remote batteries, the remote paired and seemed to work fine for about 10 minutes. Then, it froze. I am at my wits end. I really do not want to switch back to cable, but this situation is becoming untenable. Is it possible that the receiver caused the box/remote to permanently have a problem?

No, I doubt the receiver has anything to do with the box and remote not working, especially once you connected the box and TV direct. The receiver has no influence whatsoever on the remote. The only thing I can think of is the other remotes are messing with the pairing on your DVR, that's why I suggested turning any other Fios boxes you have off when you pair the DVR. Saw this happen to someone else a while ago.

pnutzlaw

Thank you for your advice.  I believe that the technician who performed my installation hooked up the main box prior to connecting any of the mini boxes in the home.  I should add that I received my fourth Fios main box yesterday and it was that box which I connected directly to the television.  I was on the phone with a very understanding tech support person yesterday when I did it.  He also walked me through unplugging and resetting the mini boxes because they needed to connect to the new main box.  Verizon was already sending me a new remote and he advised me to try and pair the new remote with the new box which is now connected.  If that does not work, which I suspect will be the case, he will have the issue escalated.  Are you aware whether Verizon has a level of technicians who are more advanced that the typical techs?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@pnutzlaw wrote:

Thank you for your advice.  I believe that the technician who performed my installation hooked up the main box prior to connecting any of the mini boxes in the home.  I should add that I received my fourth Fios main box yesterday and it was that box which I connected directly to the television.  I was on the phone with a very understanding tech support person yesterday when I did it.  He also walked me through unplugging and resetting the mini boxes because they needed to connect to the new main box.  Verizon was already sending me a new remote and he advised me to try and pair the new remote with the new box which is now connected.  If that does not work, which I suspect will be the case, he will have the issue escalated.  Are you aware whether Verizon has a level of technicians who are more advanced that the typical techs?

Yes, like most other support departments, there are several levels of support. Hope you have the solution in hand!

pnutzlaw

So, the new remote came today.  Everything paired flawlessly and is still working.  I did not dare try pairing it while hooked up through the receiver.  Instead, I have the HDMI cable hooked up from the Fios box directly to the LG OLED.  Because the TV is mounted and the cable is installed behind the wall, I had to remove the end of the cable which was plugged into the HDMI Out port on the receiver.  For now, if I want to use my PS5 (or the Denon setup menu), I will need to remove the HDMI cable from the Fios box and put it back into the HDMI Out port on the Denon.  I still have my surround sound because I have an optical audio cable going from the TV to the receiver.  The only inconvenience is that I need to switch the receiver input to TV Audio every time I turn my equipment back on.  I am assuming I can change the default input to TV Audio somewhere in the Denon settings menu, though.  After the remote paired with the box and TV, I was able to manually configure the remote so that it operates the power, volume and mute functions on the receiver.  I opted to cancel my new receiver purchase for now and will upgrade in the future.  I cannot thank you enough for your help and advice.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@pnutzlaw wrote:

So, the new remote came today.  Everything paired flawlessly and is still working.  I did not dare try pairing it while hooked up through the receiver.  Instead, I have the HDMI cable hooked up from the Fios box directly to the LG OLED.  Because the TV is mounted and the cable is installed behind the wall, I had to remove the end of the cable which was plugged into the HDMI Out port on the receiver.  For now, if I want to use my PS5 (or the Denon setup menu), I will need to remove the HDMI cable from the Fios box and put it back into the HDMI Out port on the Denon.  I still have my surround sound because I have an optical audio cable going from the TV to the receiver.  The only inconvenience is that I need to switch the receiver input to TV Audio every time I turn my equipment back on.  I am assuming I can change the default input to TV Audio somewhere in the Denon settings menu, though.  After the remote paired with the box and TV, I was able to manually configure the remote so that it operates the power, volume and mute functions on the receiver.  I opted to cancel my new receiver purchase for now and will upgrade in the future.  I cannot thank you enough for your help and advice.

In the Denon HDMI menu is an option for Stand by source, use last chosen input when restarting. I really don't think you have anything to worry about by putting the Denon back in the chain. There is NOTHING the receiver can do to unpair the remote. I think the last APR update was the culprit here and the new remote solved the problem. I'd just make sure the other Fios boxes in the house are OFF if you have to reprogram or re-pair the DVR remote.