Getting a buzzing sound through the speakers when it rains
Ben_J

Can't figure this one out at all.  I've checked all connections all the way to the FIOS box.  I'm getting an electrical buzz through the speakers, both the TV and surround, anytime it rains.  It will last a day or so after the rain passes, then it's gone until it rains again.  Anyone ever get this and figure it out?

0 Likes
Re: Getting a buzzing sound through the speakers when it rains
VZ_Kevin
Contributor - Level 2

A good check here would be to try a different source for isolation.

If you have a DVD player hooked up to your TV/Surround, does that get the same buzzing as when you're watching from the FiOS STB?

0 Likes
Ben_J

No buzzing on any source other than FIOS.  Unplug the box from the TV, it goes away.  Change source to DVD, it goes away.  So it's definitely in the FIOS line.  It buzzes for about a day after the rain stops, then it's fine.  So the rain is causing the problem.  Something is getting wet is my guess.  I just don't have the tools to isolate it.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try a different source input on the fios box when it happens.

so it rains- you get buzz,  disconnect whatever is connected to your tv (ie hdmi, component cable, etc.) 

see if it goes away,  

if it does then you found your problem.,  at that point plug something else in and see if you get a picture with no buzzing,  simple coax cable from the box (to tv/vcr to the cable in on your tv)   or use the rca (red white yellow) from the box to your tv.  if it still isn't there, then you got either a bum cable going from the box to the tv, or a bad port on the cable box.

The problem is between the speaker system and the box probably, and is most likely just the cables going between them or the actual devices.   only way to tell is to unplug things and do a little trial and error,.

0 Likes
MartiS1

I am so happy to see this post!!!!!  I have struggled with this problem with my land line for over 10 years.  I have regular Verizon (no FIOS) and was considering getting FIOS to fix this but now I won't.  Every time there is a heavy rain the phones get so much buzzing you can barely use them for 1-3 days.  I've had Verizon here multiple times looking inside and outside and nothing ever changes.  I am sure there must be a leak outside the house as that's the only thing that makes sense.  

If you come up with a solution please let me know!!  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your problem with a copper telephone line is likely entirely different than the person who is experiencing a FiOS STB issue.   It's entirely possible that your problem is with the telephone copper running from the central office to your house -- and if so -- then a move to FiOS would replace that with fiber and eliminate the noise.   

As for the FiOS person ... this sounds almost like a ground fault.   Can you make check the coax where it leaves the ONT, likely on the outside of your house somewhere, to see if it is grounded (usually a piece of think bare copper wire attached to a pipe or rod that goes into the ground (sometimes at or near where the electrical system for your house is also grounded).   Also, have you tried plugging things into a different outlet in the house (you're not using any three-prong to two-prong widgets are you?  any UPS or surge suppressors?  try temporarily removing those).  There's also a little widget you can get from the home store that will check outlets for back grounding -- you might want to pick up one of those, cost about $5 -- and use it to check your outlets when you are experiencing the buzzing.

If all that checks out, then how are you connected from the FiOS box to the TV?  As one of the other posters suggested, we'll want to try changing the path between the box and the TV to use a different signal (from RF to component or composite or HDMI) to see if the problem goes away.

0 Likes