Help with Fios and Chromecast
timrock

I am using Fios cable with Ubuntu 13.04. I see that all of my wireless devices are using different ip addresses. Such as my receiver, chromecast and tablets. I am unable to connect my chromecast and receiver to my network possibly because of this. Is it possible to get all devices operating on the same network? I was told this might be the issue. Thanks.

My receiver is connected to the wifi via wired. chromecast is wireless.

here is some info:

ubuntu - 192.168.1.2
chromcast - 192.168.1.4
0 Likes
Re: Help with Fios and Chromecast
PJL
Master - Level 3

@timrock wrote:

I am using Fios cable with Ubuntu 13.04. I see that all of my wireless devices are using different ip addresses. Such as my receiver, chromecast and tablets. I am unable to connect my chromecast and receiver to my network possibly because of this. Is it possible to get all devices operating on the same network? I was told this might be the issue. Thanks.

My receiver is connected to the wifi via wired. chromecast is wireless.

here is some info:

ubuntu - 192.168.1.2
chromcast - 192.168.1.4

Your devices MUST use different IP addresses or they will conflict with each other and not function.  Chromecast and the controlling device must be on the same subnet (the same "network" in your terminology) which yours are (the 192.168.1.x subnet).  And the controlling node can be wired (Chromecast is wireless).  You have some other issue -- either the Chromecast device is faulty or your Chrome browser/Ubuntu configuration has a problem.  Can you ping the Chromecast device from your computer?

0 Likes
timrock

Chromecst works fine with my tablets. I am able to cast everything. How would i go about pinging it? and is there a way to get them on the same network? I am new to all of this, so thanks for your assistance. I will be able to provide more info when i get home from work. I am not at the ubuntu pc right now.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@timrock wrote:

Chromecst works fine with my tablets. I am able to cast everything. How would i go about pinging it? and is there a way to get them on the same network? I am new to all of this, so thanks for your assistance. I will be able to provide more info when i get home from work. I am not at the ubuntu pc right now.

Please re-read my prior post -- they ARE on the same network.  If you are able to cast using your tablets, then it is clearly something in the configuration of your Ubuntu PC that is the issue.  I have no idea how to ping from a Ubuntu PC, but from WIndows you open a command prompt and enter ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (using the actual IP address of the device you are tyring to ping). 

0 Likes
RSM2

Hello,

Will  Chromecast work if plugged into the HDMI port of the fios box which is plugged into an old CRT TV?

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@RSM wrote:

Hello,

Will  Chromecast work if plugged into the HDMI port of the fios box which is plugged into an old CRT TV?

Thanks for the help!

Absolutely not.  The STB HDMI port is an OUTPUT not an input. 

0 Likes
svetlana1

Will google Chromecast work if plugged into the HDMI port of the fios box which is plugged into a 2012 LCD TV? If not, is it at all possible that I can make it compatible with verizon fios?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@svetlana wrote:

Will google Chromecast work if plugged into the HDMI port of the fios box which is plugged into a 2012 LCD TV? If not, is it at all possible that I can make it compatible with verizon fios?

Please read my post just prior to your question.

Chromecast needs to be plugged into an HDMI port on the TV (or a receiver that is supplying an HDMI signale to the TV).  The concept of "...compatible with FiOS..." is really meaningless.

0 Likes