How do you know for Guide if program is in Surround Sound?
bompen

I recently moved to FIOS from DirecTV and an concerned about my 5.1 surround sound.  At first I thought nothing was broadcast in surround since there doesn't seem to be an icon on the guide for a program to tell if it is in surround and I couldn't hear my rear speakers, where I had before on DirecTV.  I thought no surround was being broadcast, but I have since determined that it is coming through.  Sometimes it indicates Stereo, but mostly nothing at all.  For example, check the Super Bowl today, no indicator of sound at all, but I know it's broadcast in surround.  Maybe my rear speakers need a volume adjustment upward, but they worked fine with DirecTV.  Any ideas?  And why no sound type indicator on the guide?

0 Likes
Re: How do you know for Guide if program is in Surround Sound?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Your right, the guide doesnt say surround. It only indicates if it is in stereo or not. However, Verizon does not modify the signal in any way. So if the channel broadcasts in Surround Sound, you will get Surround sound.

But check to make sure that your box is set for surround sound.   menu-->settings-->audio settings-->surround

Mine always defaults to "stereo" when it gets reset so I usually have to go back in and turn it back to surround.

0 Likes
Re: How do you know for Guide if program is in Surround Sound?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

But check to make sure that your box is set for surround sound.   menu-->settings-->audio settings-->surround

Mine always defaults to "stereo" when it gets reset so I usually have to go back in and turn it back to surround.

That setting only affects the analog outputs and does a modification that creates a pseudo-surround from stereo speakers (L/R RED / WHITE RCA jacks).  The digital outputs (coax or optical) always carry surround (if it is there from the source).

0 Likes