Re: IMG 1.7 Experience
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@matcarl wrote:

I hope the exciting things down the road don't have to do with anything stretched and distorted. Boy am I glad I have the older boxes. Who would want a stretched guide?

My guess is that this is a mile marker on the way to Verizon implementing a true 16:9 guide, with more hours of programming in the guide.

0 Likes
jolt2010

I have a QIp 7100 and received the update to 1.7.

I have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP and the guide looks horrible, not worth any new features that they may have added.

It looks like my guide is on "Vision Impared Mode". If you look at it for too long, like while working with phone support, your vision will start to get blurry.

There is nothing support can do to help with the resolution issues at this point.

Basically, I think it sucks.

I read a couple of post about a milestone into new features.

Thats like driving around in a primered car telling everyone "Wait until you see the paint job".

Until you get the paint job, your car still sucks.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Thanks for the feedback jolt2010. Since I have the 6416 I don't see that, plus my LCD is only 40" so even if I did see it I suspect it would not be quite so overwhelming.

Question: Is it just that it is so big and stretched, or are there other differences you can see compared to the Guide on 1.6.2? When I see it on my TV it looks exactly like the 1.6.2 Guide did as best I can remember.

I am guessing that there is some technical reason why they did not stretch the Guide on the 6xxx boxes, but it is truely amazing to me that Verizon did not include an option to set the Guide to stretch or 4:3 on the 7xxx boxes. Here's hoping that they see enough complaints to add an option (quickly). Then once they delivered a true 16:9 Guide covering a longer time frame with perhaps more data displayed I suspect everybody would be happy.

Thanks again.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I just found something that I think (emphasize think!) is new in the Guide in 1.7. If you go into the Guide:

Guide ==> Help ==> Self Diagnostics ==> Start ==> OK

At the end of the test it lists your TV packages, like: FiOS TV Essentials, FiOS TV Extreme, HD package, Movies, National HD, RA, Sports, Video on Demand (this is what mine shows, I guess yours might be different, and what might RA be?)

New? If you are not getting something you think you should this might give you a clue why.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mploc

@jolt2010 wrote:

I have a QIp 7100 and received the update to 1.7.

I have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP and the guide looks horrible, not worth any new features that they may have added.

It looks like my guide is on "Vision Impared Mode". If you look at it for too long, like while working with phone support, your vision will start to get blurry.

There is nothing support can do to help with the resolution issues at this point.

Basically, I think it sucks.

I read a couple of post about a milestone into new features.

Thats like driving around in a primered car telling everyone "Wait until you see the paint job".

Until you get the paint job, your car still sucks.

So true.  lol  And I have the same TV.  Are you connected by HDMI?  I am now after the update, too many dropouts before.

0 Likes
mploc

@Justin wrote:

Thanks for the feedback jolt2010. Since I have the 6416 I don't see that, plus my LCD is only 40" so even if I did see it I suspect it would not be quite so overwhelming.

Question: Is it just that it is so big and stretched, or are there other differences you can see compared to the Guide on 1.6.2? When I see it on my TV it looks exactly like the 1.6.2 Guide did as best I can remember.

I am guessing that there is some technical reason why they did not stretch the Guide on the 6xxx boxes, but it is truely amazing to me that Verizon did not include an option to set the Guide to stretch or 4:3 on the 7xxx boxes. Here's hoping that they see enough complaints to add an option (quickly). Then once they delivered a true 16:9 Guide covering a longer time frame with perhaps more data displayed I suspect everybody would be happy.

Thanks again.

Keller, TX 76248

It's big, stretched, just ugly.  And it's not just the guide, it's every menu, every one!  Like really Verizon.  At this point, I just have to laugh, because obviously I expect too much from them.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@mploc wrote:

So true.  lol  And I have the same TV.  Are you connected by HDMI?  I am now after the update, too many dropouts before.

Thanks for posting. Just to be clear, are you saying that now with the 1.7 update you no longer experience any (or as many) HDMI connection problems, like the audio and video dropouts that some folks have experienced in the past? I have never experienced those myself, apparently my DVR and TV are somehow magically HDMI compatible, so I have not been able to make any report on this based on my experience. My DVR with 1.7 is working just like it did before with 1.6.2 over HDMI, just fine.

Would love to hear any other comments you have regarding the 1.7 level.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mploc

@Justin wrote:

@mploc wrote:

Thanks for posting. Just to be clear, are you saying that now with the 1.7 update you no longer experience any (or as many) HDMI connection problems, like the audio and video dropouts that some folks have experienced in the past? I have never experienced those myself, apparently my DVR and TV are somehow magically HDMI compatible, so I have not been able to make any report on this based on my experience. My DVR with 1.7 is working just like it did before with 1.6.2 over HDMI, just fine.

Would love to hear any other comments you have regarding the 1.7 level.

Keller, TX 76248

Now I see, you have the 6416.  I did not have the HDMI problems with that box, but when I moved I was giving the 7000 series.  With this box, the dropouts were ever couple of minutes.  With 1.7 I have not experienced any.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@mploc wrote:

It's big, stretched, just ugly.  And it's not just the guide, it's every menu, every one!  Like really Verizon.  At this point, I just have to laugh, because obviously I expect too much from them.

Wow, this is the first I have seen anyone mention that, the reports I have seen have only said "Guide" but maybe they were using that word to refer to the entire IMG. As far as I can see, everything within the IMG is still 4:3 with bars on the side when using the 6416 DVR, and pretty much looks just like it has in the past with some additions here and there.

I really wonder if Verizon actually intended to do that on the 7xxx boxes? Surely usability testing would have shown that up as a poor choice, or at least dictated that an option to set the IMG to either stretched or not stretched be included. Or does Verizon not do usability testing at all? Smiley Sad

Thanks for the update.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mploc

No people, it's every menu.  Even the little (now big and stretched) channel bar at the bottom of the screen that pops up when you change channels.

0 Likes