Re: Latest firmware has removed a significant feature to FIOS Quantum DVR service
Flyerguy90
Enthusiast - Level 2

And just as an addendum...

What makes this change even more idiotic, is that if you set a recording, TURN OFF THE VMS (meaning you physically power it off - with a recording in progress), the IPC's will then HAVE FULL ACCESS to the normal amount of buffer abilities they have when the VMS is powered on.

This means the 6 active tuners ARE INDEED AVAILABLE to the IPC's with the VMS is turned off (the light is off).   Just like it's been for the past few years... but now, with this change.... the function is ONLY available if you've started an active recording.

This change made no sense.  It has taken away a useful feature.   And NOBODY at Verizon has any explanation for it...

0 Likes
Re: Latest firmware has removed a significant feature to FIOS Quantum DVR service
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I never saw the IPC having access to all 6 tuners when the VMS off.  It could of course set recordings on all 6.

However one of the problems that the have been trying to fix is to release tuners when not in use.  For users with many IPC boxes, the failure to release was causing problems.  I think this is what you are now experiening. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the VMS is unavailable to the IPCs, they revert to the equivalent of the FIOS APP.

I haven't tried it in a while, but you may have most of the capabilites, but I am not sure if you have access to allt he channels that you have with VMS.

Definitely can't record anything.

0 Likes
JRJRJR52

Only has VMS1100 and 2 IPCs for a week, but I think I noticed that if I pause live TV on an IPC, and then change the channel, I can then go back to the original channel and continue watching from the paused point.  Also, pausing both channels allows flipping back and forth.

0 Likes
JRJRJR52

Sorry, but I tried this again and it doesn't work reliably.  I started on an IPC, switching between 2 channels and lost the record buffer every time.  I then started changing channels using "channel +/-" and "last" and eventually I got the 2 channels I wanted to keep their record buffer, and got what we are looking for.  I have no idea what the magic sequence was.

Does anyone know how to see a list of what the 6 tuners on the VMS1100 are doing?  That would help to confirm when a channel is still recording.

Also, from the IPC1100 manual you can see:

-------

Standard DVR Functionality (Only available when connected to the VMS1100)

DVR functionality integrated with the IPG enables subscribers to: ο Pause, rewind, fast-forward, or record live TV

ο Maintain a personal recorded program library and access it using the IPG

ο Select programs to record across multiple channels and time slots

ο Rewind and replay recorded programs

ο Simultaneously watch two programs, switching easily between them using the swap key (Dependent upon program guide support and provided remote control)

ο Record a program in the background while viewing another live program

ο Simultaneously record programs from two channels while watching a different pre-recorded program, with the ability to switch viewing between any of the three programs

ARRIS cannot guarantee the exact amount of programming that each subscriber will be able to record. The approximate time depends on the programming type and the drive size:

------

I assume the "swap" key is the same as the "last" key.

0 Likes