Receive up to $504 promo credit ($180 w/Welcome Unlimited, $360 w/ 5G Start, or $504 w/5G Do More, 5G Play More, 5G Get More or One Unlimited for iPhone plan (Welcome Unlimited and One Unlimited for iPhone plans can't be mixed w/other Unlimited plans; all lines on the account req'd on respective plans)) when you add a new smartphone line with your own 4G/5G smartphone on an eligible postpaid plan between 2/10/23 and 3/31/23. Promo credit applied over 36 months; promo credits end if eligibility requirements are no longer met.
The icons from the top right and going clockwise, Message, Recording, Software Update, Home Network.
Check you software levels and see if the update from the 9/11 completed. May need to shutdwon your DVR and restart it.
We noticed the same thing and have re-booted more than once with no result. Sometimes the icon is solid, but most of the time it's flashing. The System Info shows Release 1.0b; Build Number 02.17.1; Middleware v 02.15. There is no flashing icon on our client, which shows Build Number 02.18.1.
That is not the new level. So its still trying to download it.
New version should show up as
Release : 1.0b
Build Version : 02.18.2
UI Version : 02.18.1
Middleware : 02.18
Is there anything I can do to resolve this?
Make sure you have an Actiontec version "I" as the primary router and that your VMS/IPC's connect to it. Check that your stb's show a good network connection.
There is a reset if you really want to try it. But I would suggest waiting some more before trying it. Some others are reporting delays in update and only some of the software component's updating. So maybe will resolve itself soon.
1. Start pressing OK on the remote as you plug in the VMS.
2. Press 328 immediately after a single solid dash appears on the front panel.
3. The world "COLD" will be displayed on the front panel.
4. The box will boot, then the activation display will come up on the TV.
5. Follow the full activation process
I never tried it. Don't know if your existing data and recordings are safe if you do try it.
Thanks! Since it hasn't affected functionality, I'll try the "wait-and-see" approach.