Re: Lip Sync with Fios STB (VMS4100)
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

What I was suggesting he do is run his HDMI cable from the fios box directly into his soundbar, then from the soundbar to his TV. Its not nonsense, and by the way, he too has a Samsung TV. Also have you contacted Verizon support yet? They seemed genuinely interested in your problem.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

And how many soundbars have 4K passthrough option???

I did contact Verizon via dslreports and so far they drag the post by asking me a simple question once every few days, doesn't look like a genuine interest to me but ok...

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mbpe300 wrote:

And how many soundbars have 4K passthrough option???

I did contact Verizon via dslreports and so far they drag the post by asking me a simple question once every few days, doesn't look like a genuine interest to me but ok...

Most of the newer soundbars have 4K passthrough eARC.

https://www.amazon.com/4k-sound-bar/s?k=4k+sound+bar

Glad to hear you are in touch with support. They take a while because they are probably testing the issue step by step. Also have a lot of other issues to deal with. I hope they can come up with a fix for you. It may take some time, and if it's a firmware update that's needed, odds are they wont tell you because of confidentiality issues.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

Confidentiality issues?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

They can't release info on fixes until it hits the Public.

bstpeg

So I tried running my FiOS box through the sound bar to the TV. It seems to fix the audio sync issue, but for whatever reason my Samsung TV won't automatically turn on the Yamaha sound bar when it's turned off in passthrough mode.

So, alas, I'll go back to the way I had it before (all devices to TV and TV out to sound bar) and hope that Verizon fixes this issue soon.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg wrote:

So I tried running my FiOS box through the sound bar to the TV. It seems to fix the audio sync issue, but for whatever reason my Samsung TV won't automatically turn on the Yamaha sound bar when it's turned off in passthrough mode.

So, alas, I'll go back to the way I had it before (all devices to TV and TV out to sound bar) and hope that Verizon fixes this issue soon.

This tells you it isn't a problem with the Fios box, the issue lies in the combination of Fios box and your TV. Is there a CEC setting in the soundbar or TV that might need to be reset when connecting the Fios box to the soundbar, and the soundbar to the TV to get it to turn on ? Are you using the Fios remote to turn everything on and off? If so you probably have to reprogram the Fios remote for your Soundbar when the soundbar is first in the line. I realize it may not be convenient, but finding a way for the TV to turn off the soundbar is way easier than fixing the audio delay issue, which you now know how to fix.

bstpeg

The way it's currently set up, I can use my TV remote to turn the TV on and off, and the sound bar powers on/off based on what the TV does. That doesn't happen anymore when I turn the TV on and off using passthrough. I'd like to be able to use my TV remote, since I use it to navigate my streaming apps and don't want to have to switch between remotes constantly. 

Also, calling this a "fix" is a bit generous. It's not a fix, it's a workaround. There's nothing wrong with my current setup. I shouldn't have to use a different configuration that relies more heavily on CEC working between devices from multiple manufacturers simply because there's a bug in the FiOS TV One boxes. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try this procedure to reset HDMI control for your soundbar? There is troubleshooting advice at the bottom:

Follow the procedure below to enable or disable the unit’s HDMI control function. This function is enabled by default. 1 Turn off the unit. 2 Hold down the HDMI key on the unit’s remote control for more than 3 seconds. The HDMI control function is enabled or disabled, and the unit turns on. The indicator shows HDMI control function status for several seconds immediately after the unit is turned on. NOTE Glows (enabled; default) Off (disabled) • Enable the HDMI control function when connecting a TV that supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) (p. 23), or when using HDMI signal pass-through (p. 23). If the unit cannot be operated with the TV’s remote control Confirm the settings are properly configured as described below.-The HDMI control function of this unit is enabled.-The HDMI control function is enabled on the TV. Examples of TV settings • From the setup menu on your TV, select “Link setting” ➔ “HDMI control setting”, then set a setting such as “HDMI control function” to “ON”. • Set audio output to any option other than TV. If the unit cannot be operated with the TV’s remote control even after the settings described above have been applied correctly:-Turn off this unit and the TV, and then turn them back on again.-Disconnect the power cables of the center unit, subwoofer, and external devices connected to the center unit via HDMI cable. Plug them in again after about 30 seconds.

Just a shot in the dark, but might work for you.

bstpeg

I tried it again, resetting the settings like you suggested. Seems like ARC and CEC control just don't play well between TV and soundbar when using the bar to pass through the FiOS box. I'm able to change the channel via the TV but turning on and switching to the right input is just finicky. Having everything go to the TV and only audio out to the bar works the best, though of course with the audio lag issue.

0 Likes